Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2014, 08:17:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2014, 06:00:19 AM
And there's an amount of respect. There will be people who oppose gay marriage regardless - especially religious people.
Why should we have respect for a failure to adjust one's beliefs to modern values? Well actually, why should we have respect for individuals to fail to learn modern values?
And so goes the argument of the culture warrior.

Just another example of why garbon is an example of everything that is wrong with the West.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2014, 08:51:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2014, 08:17:43 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 05, 2014, 06:00:19 AM
And there's an amount of respect. There will be people who oppose gay marriage regardless - especially religious people.
Why should we have respect for a failure to adjust one's beliefs to modern values? Well actually, why should we have respect for individuals to fail to learn modern values?
And so goes the argument of the culture warrior.

Just another example of why garbon is an example of everything that is wrong with the West.

It's completely possible to be Christian and let this issue slide. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

You attempt to decide what modern values are has failed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2014, 08:55:46 AM

I'm not deciding anything.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2014, 08:57:22 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2014, 08:55:46 AM

I'm not deciding anything.

Clearly.  Neil just said you failed at it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2014, 06:34:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2014, 02:55:11 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 04, 2014, 02:52:58 PM
:yes: In a free society, you have a right to make yourself heard, but that doesn't mean you can hide behind pseudonyms and subterfuge to keep your identity secret. The founding fathers would never have failed to put their name to their arguments when debating the constitution, for instance.

Good point "alfred russel."   :lol:
:face:

I hope everyone is being sarcastic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Papers

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 08:34:39 PM
But this is hardly an isolated incident, it is more the phenomenon in general that makes me nervous.  Anything political you might have posted on your facebook or wherever years ago can someday take you down.  Maybe you just signed that petition to get that annoying activist to leave you alone.  Maybe you temporarily joined a nutty religion but got better.  I know I have flirted with some stupid ideas in the past (or rather constantly as anybody who reads Languish might note :P) and while I have no idea what is out there it would be pretty embarrassing if somebody found something and I had to publicly explain myself and beg forgiveness if I were to miraculously ever achieve a position of status.
Agreed.  I find Internet mob justice to be one of the scariest things that online communication brought us.  At any moment, any given person can be characterized by the one thing out of thousands that he did, and a viral outrage can destroy their life before they even have a chance to fight back, or put things in context.  In the long run, that can lead to everyone being afraid to be on record doing anything controversial at all, since most people have an employer that would rather eliminate a headache than take its lumps sticking up for their suddenly notorious employee.

Norgy

I don't find his resignation upsetting or strange in the least. Mostly because the Mozilla brand has been built on being an open-source alternative to corporations like Microsoft, Google and Apple. Having a CEO that works against alternative lifestyles just undermines the brand's core values.

mongers

I'm a liberal; quick I need to take some sort or any position on this, with which I can be outraged. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Quote from: Norgy on April 05, 2014, 12:40:53 PM
I don't find his resignation upsetting or strange in the least. Mostly because the Mozilla brand has been built on being an open-source alternative to corporations like Microsoft, Google and Apple. Having a CEO that works against alternative lifestyles just undermines the brand's core values.
Does it though?  Are Mozilla's core values hating civilization?

Norgy

Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2014, 01:27:51 PM

If you try to see it from the point of view of people who aren't, well, you, I think you can see my point. Mozilla's core value seems to be not making good browsers anymore, though.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on April 05, 2014, 01:31:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2014, 01:27:51 PM

If you try to see it from the point of view of people who aren't, well, you, I think you can see my point. Mozilla's core value seems to be not making good browsers anymore, though.

Mozilla's core values are whatever the career aspirations of it's top half-dozen executives are.

Norgy

Like most corporations.
But, we need to remember that corporations are people.  :yuk:

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on April 05, 2014, 01:47:33 PM
Like most corporations.

Yeah, that's rather a weird idea, isn't it.

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on April 05, 2014, 01:47:33 PM

Then, by the transitive property, Soylent Green is corporations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!