Australia's top court recognises 'neutral' third gender

Started by garbon, April 03, 2014, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2014, 07:31:34 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2014, 06:06:29 AM
and when their remains -if any- are dug up in a 1000 years by some intrepid archaeologist they'll get labeled as male or female after all.

Such little imagination.
such little knowlegde about archaeology.

garbon

You are the one interpreting what things will be like 1000 years from now based on your narrow mindset.

Besides the fact that who actually cares about that "issue" you highlighted. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2014, 07:59:07 AM
You are the one interpreting what things will be like 1000 years from now based on your narrow mindset.

Logic and reason trump your mental illness any day.  When they dig these retarded up, they're still going to be biologically male or female, no matter how much they wish that they were the other, or neither.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2014, 10:52:40 PM
What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

:lol:

Takes on a whole new meaning now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2014, 07:51:03 AM
and when their remains -if any- are dug up in a 1000 years by some intrepid archaeologist they'll get labeled as male or female after all.

Such little imagination.

The article is about gender, not sex.  Archaeologists will identify the sex of the remains, not the gender.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2014, 08:36:05 AM
The article is about gender, not sex.  Archaeologists will identify the sex of the remains, not the gender.

Archaeologists are slaves to the oppressive sex binary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2014, 08:36:05 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2014, 07:51:03 AM

Such little imagination.

You are forgetting about the lipstick on the skeleton.  :P

http://anthro.appstate.edu/sites/anthro.appstate.edu/files/documents/ebooks/gender/toc.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2014, 08:01:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2014, 07:59:07 AM

Logic and reason trump your mental illness any day.  When they dig these retarded up, they're still going to be biologically male or female, no matter how much they wish that they were the other, or neither.

I don't see a mental illness in that. Imagining that the world might be different in 1,000 years from how it is now doesn't seem wrong...nor does it have any impairment on my daily living. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

In all seriousness, an archaeologist from a 1000 years from now will note morphological changes to the skeleton that shows input of both adolescent/adult testosterone and also adult estrogen.  The conclusion would likely be "born male, underwent estrogen therapy for decades" and then there would be attempts (depending on if the cultural records from this time are complete) to assign gender based on cultural factors. 

Given that the "Great Collapse" of 2243 CE wiped out much of the data from the 21st century, the gender would be assigned wrongly as the 5th gender.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

I watched part of that "Southern Comfort" documentary that is mostly about women who had had addadictome operations.  Some of them looked semi-convincing at first-- they had beards and semi-deep voices.  But when you saw them from behind, the bitch hips were a dead giveaway. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2014, 08:48:59 AM
Given that the "Great Collapse" of 2243 CE wiped out much of the data from the 21st century, the gender would be assigned wrongly as the 5th gender.

:lol:

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2014, 08:49:03 AM

I watched part of that "Southern Comfort" documentary that is mostly about women who had had addadictome operations.  Some of them looked semi-convincing at first-- they had beards and semi-deep voices.  But when you saw them from behind, the bitch hips were a dead giveaway.

Southern Comfort wasn't a documentary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

There are only two genders.  Gender and sex are the same.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
There are only two genders.  Gender and sex are the same.

Why does OED define them to mean different things then?

Quotegender - The state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones)

Quotesex - Either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions

Valmy