At Least 22 Veterans Kill Themselves Every Day and No One Gives a Shit

Started by jimmy olsen, April 02, 2014, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on April 03, 2014, 05:26:57 PM
Uhm, according to the WHO, there were 32,559 siucides in the US in 2005 (which seems to be the most recent year they have totals for).  If that's a typical figure, 1892 would be a bit less than 6% of suicides in this country, not "about 25%".  That doesn't really seem that high.

Particularly as the number cited appears to be for all vets, not just Iraq and Afghan vets.

(I didn't read the whole article.)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2014, 10:21:03 PM
Is the 1,892 figure a real number, or some kind of extrapolation?  I find it very hard to believe that it's a real number, because that would imply that about 25% of all people who commit suicide in US are Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.  That strikes me as extremely implausible, considering that far less than 1% of the US population belong to the group.

Uhm, according to the WHO, there were 32,559 siucides in the US in 2005 (which seems to be the most recent year they have totals for).  If that's a typical figure, 1892 would be a bit less than 6% of suicides in this country, not "about 25%".  That doesn't really seem that high.
Uhm, the 1,892 figure is for this year, which is not a full year just yet.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 03, 2014, 05:32:08 PM
Is the 1,892 figure a real number, or some kind of extrapolation?  I find it very hard to believe that it's a real number, because that would imply that about 25% of all people who commit suicide in US are Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.  That strikes me as extremely implausible, considering that far less than 1% of the US population belong to the group.

Yeah, the headline is 22 a day, which works out to something like 8k a year.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2014, 08:29:18 PM

Or just around 25% of total annual suicides in the US using the most recent WHO numbers from 2005. :hmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 03, 2014, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2014, 08:29:18 PM

Or just around 25% of total annual suicides in the US using the most recent WHO numbers from 2005. :hmm:

Bah!  That was just a lucky guess!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2014, 08:46:01 PM

It is almost as though DGuller speaks wisely on statistics.  :hmm:

In summary:
Areas of Established DGuller Expertise:
Statistics
Probability
Tracksuit Fashion

Areas of Established DGuller Ignorance:
How to Pump Gas
How to Change a Tire
Other Automotive Topics
English Pronunciation
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2014, 09:04:23 PM

In summary:
Statistics
Probability
Tracksuit Fashion

How to Pump Gas
How to Change a Tire
Other Automotive Topics
English Pronunciation
Responsible Blueberry Consumption
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

sbr

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 03, 2014, 09:28:34 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2014, 09:04:23 PM

In summary:
Statistics
Probability
Tracksuit Fashion
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles

How to Pump Gas
How to Change a Tire
Other Automotive Topics
English Pronunciation
Responsible Blueberry Consumption

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Army wives of deployed soldiers are notorious cheaters. Suicide fits the Army Code better than murdering her.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers