Fort Hood shooting comes less than 5 years after attack

Started by garbon, April 02, 2014, 07:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/02/fort-hood-shooting-hasan/7227791/

QuoteLess than five years after an Army psychiatrist went on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, the military base has been shaken by another shooting.

Nidal Hasan, convicted in the Nov. 5, 2009, tragedy that left 13 dead and 31 wounded, was sentenced to death by a military jury in August 2013.

Prosecutors had sought the death penalty, saying Hasan's murderous rampage at the sprawling military base was a tragic and devastating loss for victims and loved ones.

Hasan was convicted on 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 charges of attempted premeditated murder. He appeared expressionless upon hearing the verdict, which came after less than two hours of deliberations.

While Hasan could be the first service member executed by the military since 1961, the appellate process could take years.

Family members of Hasan's victims supported the sentence.

"Today a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders," said Joleen Cahill, whose husband, Michael Cahill, had retired from the military and was working as a civilian employee at Fort Hood. He was killed when he tried to subdue Hasan. "The (jury) gave him justice, and I agree with that justice."

In seeking capital punishment, lead prosecutor Col. Mike Mulligan earlier recounted each emotional and powerful story of victims whose lives were cut short.

"These murderous attacks left enormous carnage: 13 dead, eight widows. One widower. Twelve minor children without a father, 18 parents lost children. Thirty soldiers wounded. One civilian police officer. Their loss, each family — tragic, difficult and different. For some, death was almost instantaneous. So quick, so lethal they never moved from their chair," Mulligan said.

Hasan, a Virginia-born Muslim who acted as his own attorney, admitted at the trial that he was responsible for the shootings. He had previously said he was a "soldier of Allah,'' deserved martyrdom and that his attack was designed to protect Muslim insurgents abroad.

Mulligan said earlier that while Hasan's acts were religiously motivated, jurors shouldn't punish him for being a Muslim.

"History is replete with death in the name of religion. The acts of 5 November were religiously motivated. You should not punish him for his religion,'' Mulligan told jurors. "You should punish him for his hate. You should punish him for the action he took in the name of his religion, not for his religion."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/fort-hood-shooting/fort-hood-gunman-dead-after-shooting-many-eight-n70276

QuoteOe person was dead and at least eight others were wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood, Texas — the same base where a military psychiatrist killed 13 people 4½ years ago — military officials told NBC News.

Military officials said that the shooter was dead and appeared to be a lone gunman who took his own life.

U.S. officials told NBC News the gunman was identified as Ivan Lopez, 34. It wouldn't confirm reports that Lopez was in uniform or that he had taken his own life. His address was in the Ft. Hood area.

Four of the eight wounded were "extremely grave" condition, according to U.S. military officials.

The Associated Press reported that as many as 14 people were injured, quoting a senior U.S. defense official.

President Barack Obama spoke after the shooting, saying, "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again."

He added, "We're following it closely. The situation is fluid right now ... I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

Few details were immediately available, but a supervisor at Scott & White Memorial Hospital told NBC News that the hospital was "setting up a command center."

Bell County and state public safety deputies were securing the perimeter of the area, a senior local law enforcement source said.

The FBI was also on scene to support law enforcement, according to the sources.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Associated Press reported that as many as 14 people were injured, quoting a senior U.S. defense official.

Even though they don't have a constitutional right to live free from gun violence in society, at least they have the constitutional right to contribute as much money as they want to political campaigns.  So they've got that going for them.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Razgovory

Conservative blogs are already claiming it was a Muslim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 10:30:39 PM
Ivan Lopez the Muslim?

Well some are convinced his name was Muhammad.

http://pamelageller.com/

http://pamelageller.com/2014/04/one-dead-several-reported-injured-active-shooter-situation-site-fort-hood-jihad.html/

QuoteKISS MY ASS OBAMA YOU FRIGGEN TRAITOR BASTARD!!Kill them before they kill you,plain and simple...Defend your friend's,your family,yourselves at all cost!!How in the hell does the Imbecile get away with this bullshit?>?

Most popular comment!  I made a comment as well.  Mine wasn't quite as incendiary.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney