News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Nigger Poll

Started by Admiral Yi, June 06, 2009, 03:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the word beyond the pale?

Yes, never use it, don't like it when others do.
23 (28.8%)
Sort of, can be used ironically once in a blue moon.
40 (50%)
No, more nigger all the time yeah!
17 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Admiral Yi

Jaron

The word doesn't offend me at all.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

It adds panache and style to any sentence.

Slargos

Now you're just fucking with me.

Hey Seedy, is this a temporary moratorium on my use of this specific slur?

Martinus

The poll sucks. None of the options describes my opinion.

Queequeg

When I was in Middle School on the South Side, I once asked a class with a lot of my African-American friends what was so wrong with it, as most of my ancestors were never slave owners.  Made the mistake of using the actual word.  Will never forget everyone's faces, wasn't suspended only because they knew it was an honest question. Haven't said it since then. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

You can use it for ironic impact, but only if your real name is Samuel Clemens.

Any one else using it, whether "black" or "white" or anything in between or beyond, is making themselves sound like an asshat, whether they realize it or not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Yeah, I don`t know if I`d say it can never be used in an ironic fashion for humour, but pretty much every time someone has tried to use it in that fashion they have failed...   :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2009, 05:53:01 PM
Yeah, I don`t know if I`d say it can never be used in an ironic fashion for humour, but pretty much every time someone has tried to use it in that fashion they have failed...   :(
baldwin in full metal jacket. I rest my case your honour. -_-

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2009, 05:51:36 PM
You can use it for ironic impact, but only if your real name is Samuel Clemens.

Any one else using it, whether "black" or "white" or anything in between or beyond, is making themselves sound like an asshat, whether they realize it or not.

What if you are quoting someone?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I talk like a Bolivian sailor in an Chilean whorehouse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 06, 2009, 06:30:18 PM
I talk like a Bolivian sailor in an Chilean whorehouse.
In Spanish?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

jimmy olsen

Dude, it's a joke. Why do you have to act so serious all the time?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 06, 2009, 06:39:01 PM
Dude, it's a joke. Why do you have to act so serious all the time?