Choose literary characters to describe you/your life

Started by merithyn, March 28, 2014, 09:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I was listening to an interview on NPR today with an author. The interviewer asked her which three literary books would she use to describe her life. I thought that was interesting, but I thought it even more interesting to try to figure out three literary characters who would describe you or your life. So, I put it to you, Languish, as some of the most well-read folks I know.

If you had to choose three literary characters to describe you and/or your life, which would you choose?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Monoriu

Will, a Game of Thrones. 

He is the POV character of the prologue.  He is also dead by the end of the prologue.  He exists to die. 

Ideologue

Jay Gatsby, less the money.

Any protagonist from the middle Houllebecq novels, that is neither Extension du domaine de la lutte nor La carte et le territoire.  Less the money.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Zeus

Somewhere in between Mat Cauthon's wild abandonment and Fezzik's gentle soul. The Watcher in my consciousness is reminiscent of Big Brother.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Admiral Yi

Tomacz in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Robert Jordan in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

I'm thinking maybe Hank Chinaski from Bukowski's novels. At least 10 years ago.

Now I am more like Josef K.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

CountDeMoney

I thought about it, and I can't think of any.  Then again. not author has ever talented enough to develop such a complex character.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2014, 07:26:19 AM
I thought about it, and I can't think of any.  Then again. not author has ever talented enough to develop such a complex character.

I could picture you in something by Elmore Leonard. :P

For me I'd pick Doc from Cannery Row.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.