Office tea round in danger of drying up as workers can't spare the time

Started by garbon, March 27, 2014, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/466523/Office-workers-no-longer-have-time-to-make-tea-for-colleagues

QuoteOffice workers say they have no time to put on the kettle for colleagues.

Although they down five cups of tea or coffee a day, they tend to go solo, leaving others to fend for themselves.

Office managers are the worst offenders, with nearly half of staff saying their boss never makes them a cuppa.

But a third of office workers are just as bad, preferring to make tea for just themselves rather than do a full round.

Many even resort to sneaky tactics to get out of making a round, such was waiting till colleagues leave their desk or already have a cuppa on the go.

Some even deliberately make bad tea or coffee – so that they are never asked again.

But the Royal Voluntary Service says they are missing out by turning their back on the social rituals of the traditional tea round. Not only does it make for a more harmonious office, but workers also value short breaks for boosting concentration and giving them the chance to bond with colleagues.

The charity polled 2,000 adults ahead of its annual Great Brew Break, which aims to get people making tea for ­others, from April 28 to May 4.

Actress Felicity Kendal, who is an ambassador for the Royal ­Voluntary Service, said: "Time out for a cup of tea and quick chat is hugely important, especially in today's head-down, fast-paced ­culture."

Comedian Stephen Fry added: "A cup of tea is so collectively comforting to people in Britain, that its power can never be underestimated."

Royal ­Voluntary Service chief executive David McCullough said: "We know first-hand how important a cup of tea and a little bit of shared time can be to a person's life, whether that's a happy workplace or cheering up on older ­person who might not have seen ­anyone else all week.

"Taking that small amount of time to talk and share a cup of tea is beneficial to everyone's day."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Brazen

We have mass individual tea-making in our office. At peak hours (e.g. 9.15am) the kitchen can be crowded with a dozen people all waiting for one of our bank of three kettles to boil.

garbon

This came up when I was trying to look up what time difference will look like next week, as I believe UK finally turns clock back on Monday. Not sure how much search terms led to that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2014, 11:35:54 AM
This came up when I was trying to look up what time difference will look like next week, as I believe UK finally turns clock back on Monday. Not sure how much search terms led to that.

I think the clocks go forward on Sunday

Just in case you are catching a plane or something

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on March 27, 2014, 11:39:19 AM
This. "Spring forward; fall back". "Spring forward; autumn back" doesn't work so well.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Brazen on March 27, 2014, 11:43:17 AM
This. "Spring forward; fall back". "Spring forward; autumn back" doesn't work so well.
Primavera avanti; autunno indietro?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

My work place has this fancy machine.

It requires 6 button push to get the plainiest coffee ever.

Steve Jobs looks down upon it from Zen Heaven.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2014, 11:35:54 AM

Just in case you are catching a plane or something

Ah yes that's it. This brief period where New York is only 4 hours from London confuses me. I knew in my head that difference is moving back to the 5 hours which logically means UK is going forwards not backwards as then difference would only be 3 hours. :D :blush:

KRonn

For hot water for tea I use the hot water spigot on the office kitchen coffee maker. Water is steaming hot, enough for tea, and it's fast, no waiting for a kettle to boil. But maybe that's not cool for Brits as they may need actual boiling water.  I think such automation could revolutionize British work place breaks! But I'm sure that half the fun of waiting for water to boil is talking with fellow workers who are also waiting.   :)

Capetan Mihali

I think British-style black tea is supposed to be made with truly boiling water.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2014, 12:01:32 PM
My work place has this fancy machine.

It requires 6 button push to get the plainiest coffee ever.

Steve Jobs looks down upon it from Zen Heaven.

6 buttons to make coffee doesn't sound like something Steve Jobs would approve of.  He was more of a "one button only, and you'll darn well like the kind of coffee we make" kind of guy...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on March 27, 2014, 11:20:38 AM
We have mass individual tea-making in our office. At peak hours (e.g. 9.15am) the kitchen can be crowded with a dozen people all waiting for one of our bank of three kettles to boil.

Why don't you just get tea in a bottle, like this:

http://www.nestea-usa.com/

That way you don't have to wait for a kettle.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2014, 12:45:35 PM
Quote from: Brazen on March 27, 2014, 11:20:38 AM

Why don't you just get tea in a bottle, like this:

http://www.nestea-usa.com/

That way you don't have to wait for a kettle.

You're missing the point: the wait is part of the whole thing. It's equivalent to the smoke break in terms of creating break point in the day.