And we're back!

Main Menu

Sweden, land of 'ratzilla'

Started by Syt, March 27, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26764929?ocid=socialflow_facebook

QuoteGiant rat: Swedes agog at 'Ratzilla' in Stockholm

The appearance of a massive rat in a Stockholm family's kitchen has made headlines in Sweden, where it is being dubbed "Ratzilla".

Measuring 40cm (nearly 16in) plus tail, the creature terrified the family in Solna district.

Pest controllers finally killed the intruder using an oversized trap.

Even the family cat had refused to enter the kitchen while the giant rat was in residence, father Erik Korsas told BBC News.

It appears that it entered the kitchen via a ventilation pipe, having gnawed its way through cement and wood.

After devouring food leftovers under the sink, the creature feasted on a "Swedish smorgasbord" of waste in the bin, according to Mr Korsas.

The incident occurred three weeks ago and initially, after taking a few souvenir photos, the family thought no more about it.

But when they contacted Sweden's Home And Rent website to see if it was interested in the story, it rapidly scurried to the top of the country's news agenda after attracting the attention of reporters at newspapers including the English language The Local.

On Tuesday, the "mega rat" became the most shared item for popular Swedish daily Aftonbladet, according to a tweet by journalist Sven Nordenstam.

Social media rang with gasps of disbelief, disgust and amusement. "Can't even read the news because there's a story about a giant rat on it," wrote one person. "I'd be moving on out of there," wrote another.

Laughing incredulously, Mr Korsas told the BBC that one reporter had said he should have frozen the rat's carcass for posterity. "You do have big rats in London too, yes?" he asked.

Since the incident, the family and its cat - a Cornish Rex by the name of Enok - have not been bothered by rats of any size, Mr Korsas added.

Despite regular media speculation, there appears to be little evidence of rats getting bigger in developed countries.

However, scientists do believe they could eventually grow into the size of sheep, Dr Jan Zalasiewicz, of the University of Leicester in the UK, recently told the BBC.

That said, any significant change would be a long way off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Admiral Yi

That's a big motherfucking rat.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

God damn. It is tricky enough to catch mice that you could just trample or use a regular tiny trap. I bet something like this could take quite a few hits from a shovel, unless you manage a strong one with it's edge.  :hmm:

Monoriu

I wonder if it has any offspring.  Or how many.  :ph34r:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

QuoteIt appears that it entered the kitchen via a ventilation pipe, having gnawed its way through cement ...

Goddamn.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Probably just shoddy craftsmanship as you'd expect from Swedes.

More seriously, in the 60s and 70s in Germany, at least, it was popular to use less cement and more sand to push down building costs and skim off extra earnings. Might be the same thing happened in Rat-House.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Aren't rats famous for being able to gnaw through anything?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2014, 10:53:34 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 27, 2014, 10:16:23 AM
I like rats.  :ph34r:

Yeah, but you like Russians.

And Chinese.
And Turks
And Persians
And unibrows
And <insert ethnic flavor of the day>
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2014, 11:01:52 AM

Yes. And bring disease. Just like Swedes.

katmai

Quote from: Norgy on March 27, 2014, 11:30:44 AM

Yes. And bring disease. Just like Swedes.
oh and yet I get disparaged when blaming Swedes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Queequeg

Rodents have constantly growing teeth. That's why they gnaw at stuff. They are amazing animals.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."