News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

British people - language question!

Started by Syt, March 26, 2014, 04:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

My Scottish manager frequently substitutes "fricking hell" or "fucking heck" etc. with "flippin' egg".

I thought it was an eccentricity, but recently I've heard a YouTuber from Norwich using the same expression; they're the only two people I'm aware of using that term.

Google seems rather sparse on this, so I come to seek the wisdom of the British Languishites: is "flippin' egg" a thing? What's going on with that?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I'm not British but that's clearly an euphemism.

So I believe that instead of a matter of being Scottish, your boss is probably just a prude.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Gups

He's saying "flipping (h)eck" for the last one - that's a long-established alternative for "fucking hell". It's old-fashioned but still in use.

Nobody woudl ever say "fucking heck" - why euphamise "hell" when you've already said "fucking".

"Fricking" is an American euphimism which has become a little common over here. Certain Scots (with Irish connections) might say "fecking"

Norgy

Scottish people scare the beejeebus out of me. They seem Francis Begbie-esque even when they have breasts.

Syt

Thanks Gups; he has Irish forebears, but he doesn't use "feck" at all.

We talk a lot to Canadians at work, so he might have picked up a thing or two there.

Norgs: he has quite a few amusing/frightening tales from growing up and living in Glasgow in the 70s through 90s.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on March 26, 2014, 05:47:42 AM
Thanks Gups; he has Irish forebears, but he doesn't use "feck" at all.

We talk a lot to Canadians at work, so he might have picked up a thing or two there.

Norgs: he has quite a few amusing/frightening tales from growing up and living in Glasgow in the 70s through 90s.

What strikes me about Glasgow is that it's a huge city in a country with roughly the same population as Norway or thereabouts, and it has sectarian violence, drug problems and whatnot that you wouldn't expect to find in a country like Scotland. You're an avid reader, and some of Irvine Welsh' novels are well worth the effort. They paint a fairly bleak picture of existence in Scotland in particular and being human in general.

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on March 26, 2014, 05:12:42 AM
"Fricking" is an American euphimism which has become a little common over here. Certain Scots (with Irish connections) might say "fecking"
It's more likely to be frigging.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

To be fair, Glasgow is very pleasant to visit, it just has a history of ghettoising its more undesirable elements, and the great majority of Scots are charming company, friendly to a degree that terrifies southerners. I dare say there are estates in London I wouldn't dare set foot.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on March 26, 2014, 07:15:38 AMthe great majority of Scots are charming company, friendly to a degree that terrifies southerners

Relevant video ahead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKfWqX-rqE
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, one of my favorite Briticisms recently is the word "tat".
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Brazen on March 26, 2014, 06:17:48 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 26, 2014, 05:12:42 AM
It's more likely to be frigging.

And we also use "flippin'".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

I wouldn't say fecking is an  exclusively Irish thing. Post-Father Ted it has made big inroads into the UK.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Brazen on March 26, 2014, 07:15:38 AM
To be fair, Glasgow is very pleasant to visit, it just has a history of ghettoising its more undesirable elements, and the great majority of Scots are charming company, friendly to a degree that terrifies southerners. I dare say there are estates in London I wouldn't dare set foot.

:hmm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM-DtAXBUpI
Women want me. Men want to be with me.