And we're back!

Main Menu

The Vietnam War

Started by alfred russel, March 24, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Willard is pretty badass.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PJL

Going back to the original topic, there is no way the US would have co-operated with Vietnam 1945-47. They were more pre-occupied with the situation in Europe, the Cold War hadn't even got going, and relations with the USSR, let alone any other communists were not yet frozen (though getting colder).

1948-53 was very much stabilising the situation in Europe and then the Far East (China/Korea/Taiwan/Japan). So the earliest the US could have realistically sort out Vietnam was the mid 50's. And by then they had already divided between North and South. Korea & Germany had shown a two state solution was viable, and anything else was too much work. Hence the ruling out of invading North Vietnam.

Other than putting more resources in making South Vietnam a viable country (as South Korea had become) capable of defending itself with US support and counter-insurgency effort, there was not much else the US could have done.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 12:29:40 PM
I read somewhere that "Apocalypse Now" actually inspired army recruitment - which I thought was really bizzare (assuming it is true).

I can see that, easily.  Everyone in my ROTC class could quote almost every line from the film.  Full Metal Jacket might have been slightly more popular, though.  GET SOME!!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 12:59:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 12:29:40 PM
I read somewhere that "Apocalypse Now" actually inspired army recruitment - which I thought was really bizzare (assuming it is true).

I can see that, easily.  Everyone in my ROTC class could quote almost every line from the film.  Full Metal Jacket might have been slightly more popular, though.  GET SOME!!!

Evidently, the pool of people who are inspired by the thought of ending up a divorced drunken failure put on impossible missions hunting after psychotic madmen on their own side in the middle of a pointless war is larger than I imagined.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 01:32:44 PM
Evidently, the pool of people who are inspired by the thought of ending up a divorced drunken failure put on impossible missions hunting after psychotic madmen on their own side in the middle of a pointless war is larger than I imagined.  :hmm:

Anything that gets a movie made about you is inspiring.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Yes, that's the aspect of the movie everyone focused on.  Not the Air Cav scene or any of the other war-glorifying aspects of the film.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: PJL on March 26, 2014, 12:40:49 PM
Going back to the original topic, there is no way the US would have co-operated with Vietnam 1945-47.

This was not the original topic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:12:17 PM

Yes, that's the aspect of the movie everyone focused on.  Not the Air Cav scene or any of the other war-glorifying aspects of the film.

Well, that *is* the plot, so it should be no surprsie that people "focus" on it.

The Air Cav scene was a massacre of a bunch of villagers protected by a handful of totally outgunned militia - ends with a woman tossing a grenade into a medivac heli, and then being shot down. The Ride of the Valkyries was cool though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:12:17 PM

It's just awesome.
I bloody love that scene with choppers flying in, Wagner blasting. "Charlie don't surf".
Yes, it's hardly what you'd think some Euroweenie social democrat would love, but in some way it just explains the madness of war better than a five hour documentary.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 02:16:44 PM
Well, that *is* the plot, so it should be no surprsie that people "focus" on it.

That's only one aspect (or layer, if you will) of the plot.  But anyway that's fine if you focus on it.  Just don't expect 16-23 year old males to be hung up on the plot when the film contains one of the greatest battle scenes ever filmed.

QuoteThe Air Cav scene was a massacre of a bunch of villagers protected by a handful of totally outgunned militia - ends with a woman tossing a grenade into a medivac heli, and then being shot down. The Ride of the Valkyries was cool though.

No.  It was an assault on a VC strongpoint ("hairy", "they shot the hell out of us there", etc.) that had mortars and heavy machineguns.  Had the VC not been there, a battle wouldn't have even been necessary.  The 'dink bitch' 'sapper' part was jarring, but jarring is a key element to a well-shot battle scene.

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 02:21:51 PM
It's just awesome.
I bloody love that scene with choppers flying in, Wagner blasting. "Charlie don't surf".
Yes, it's hardly what you'd think some Euroweenie social democrat would love, but in some way it just explains the madness of war better than a five hour documentary.

If it makes you feel any better, that scene was directed by a French dude.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:39:16 PM
If it makes you feel any better, that scene was directed by a French dude.

He knew all about the futility of fighting in Vietnam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I didn't really see Apocalypse Now as a anti-war or pro-war film.  It's a film that takes place during the war, but the war is not the main issue.  I thought of it more as a surreal horror film were things get crazier and crazier as they go up river.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

In many ways it sticks fairly close to the book. And the book is about both the inner workings of the people in it and the issue of Belgian macroaggression.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2014, 02:48:08 PM
I didn't really see Apocalypse Now as a anti-war or pro-war film.  It's a film that takes place during the war, but the war is not the main issue.  I thought of it more as a surreal horror film were things get crazier and crazier as they go up river.

It's many things.  That's what's so cool about it.