News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iran is building a fake aircraft carrier...

Started by Razgovory, March 22, 2014, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I, defer to grumbler on this, but isn't the most important feature of the nimitz carrier not it's nature of being a floating air strip but rather it's ability to sail upwind at 30 knots while launching and retrieving aircraft allowing it to launch two engined super sonic fighters rather than small single person cessnas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2014, 04:09:05 AM
I wonder if it's going to be a prop for a commercial film.  That at least makes some sense.  I don't think anyone is "making a fuss" over this, nobody is really concerned.  Just bemused.

Argo fuck yourself.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2014, 05:51:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2014, 05:41:09 AM
You think they're going to be boarding carriers? That's... Well... Ok then.... If you think so.....

I knew you'd back off your silly "middle eastern villages" analogy as soon as its silliness was challenged!  :lol:

:bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2014, 05:39:33 AM
It being filmed is silly; you can do the same thing in CGI for a whole lot less, and it will be just as realistic.
Did you see the CGI in that film about the drone that destroyed Israel and the US?  It looked like Tron, man.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2014, 10:19:18 AM
Did you see the CGI in that film about the drone that destroyed Israel and the US?  It looked like Tron, man.

That's one of the perks of state-run media: since they set the bar on graphics effects, they really get to set the distance of the uncanny valley.
Experience bij!

mongers

No one said the Iranians have to be entirely rational about their training programs.
It's quite possible they'd throw huge sums of money at a white elephant of a training prop, that a near full-size CV mock-up would be.

As others have said, could be an elaborate film prop or the outcome of some daft thinking or corruption from within the regime?

Perhaps it is an 'aircraft carrier' or what they think would serve as one, however ill-considered the project may be?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Maybe they will claim to have captured it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

perhaps it's a training device for boarding parties?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2014, 06:41:15 AM
I, defer to grumbler on this, but isn't the most important feature of the nimitz carrier not it's nature of being a floating air strip but rather it's ability to sail upwind at 30 knots while launching and retrieving aircraft allowing it to launch two engined super sonic fighters rather than small single person cessnas.

Plenty of carriers other than the Nimitz class could do that;  what it's most important feature is the ability to not need to be refueled for years.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2014, 07:04:16 PM
<insert vacuous comment>

Hell, the Royal Navy's been building fake aircraft carriers for decades.  [sirandrewdiceclay] Ooooh! [/sirandrewdiceclay]

Siege

Maybe is a movie set for a Iranian reality TV show.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2014, 11:46:10 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2014, 06:41:15 AM

Plenty of carriers other than the Nimitz class could do that;  what it's most important feature is the ability to not need to be refueled for years.

100k tons at 30knts is a class only the Nimitzes and Fords can pull off.

Zanza

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2014, 12:50:10 PM
100k tons at 30knts is a class only the Nimitzes and Fords can pull off.
The Queen Mary 2 supposedly goes 30 knots and is roughly the size of USS Nimitz.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2014, 05:41:09 AM
You think they're going to be boarding carriers? That's... Well... Ok then.... If you think so.....
What is more likely in such a war however is they would want to attack it with fast attack boats.

Boarding is the only one that makes the remotest sense as a training exercise.  You want your troops to be familiar with the floor plan.

Anything else, such as fast attack boats, suicide motor boats, Silkworms, whatever, it would make more sense to aim at a big piece of paper than to aim at a barge dressed up to look like the Nimitz.

QuoteIf you've a better theory then let's hear it. Movie set or military training are the only logical ones that come to mind for me.

There's a reasonable theory in the article: propaganda film.