Nasa-funded study: industrial civilization headed for 'irreversible collapse'

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on March 21, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 21, 2014, 01:38:31 PM
Wouldn't metals be the bigger concern? We've exhausted all surface deposits of iron and copper.

Elements typically don't disappear.
Well then wouldn't a lot of the salvage be steel or some other allow that could not be used with relatively crude metallurgic techniques? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on March 21, 2014, 03:48:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 21, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 21, 2014, 01:38:31 PM
Wouldn't metals be the bigger concern? We've exhausted all surface deposits of iron and copper.

Elements typically don't disappear.
Well then wouldn't a lot of the salvage be steel or some other allow that could not be used with relatively crude metallurgic techniques?

I don't see a significant problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 02:34:05 PM
I think it's easier to simply say that the Soviet Union, as political, social and economic entity collapsed.

Yet politics, society and economic activity still exist in the region. The Soviet Union as an entity is not equivalent to Russian civilization, which hasn't collapsed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
DOOM!!! :o

A new study sponsored by Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Center has highlighted the prospect that global industrial civilisation could collapse in coming decades due to unsustainable resource exploitation and increasingly unequal wealth distribution.

So, is this how a commie conspiracy theory looks like?
I raise you the blaze:

What Two Words Do Those 'Seeking to Increase Tyranny and Totalitarianism' Tend to Use?

Rabbi Daniel Lapin of the American Alliance of Jews and Christians said Thursday that there are two words often used by those "seeking to increase tyranny and totalitarianism."

Speaking with guest host Stu Burguiere on the Glenn Beck Program, Lapin explained: "For those seeking to increase tyranny and totalitarianism, fairness and equality is a great thing to work people up about, because you essentially get a population — particularly a docile population — to agree to almost anything in the name of equality and fairness."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/20/what-two-words-do-those-seeking-to-increase-tyranny-and-totalitarianism-tend-to-use/

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2014, 04:26:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 02:34:05 PM
I think it's easier to simply say that the Soviet Union, as political, social and economic entity collapsed.

Yet politics, society and economic activity still exist in the region. The Soviet Union as an entity is not equivalent to Russian civilization, which hasn't collapsed.

I don't think a collapse is the same as destruction of the entire populace.  Otherwise all the other collapses aren't actually collapses either.  When Rome fell Italy didn't become depopulated.  There were still people living there, people who spoke Latin, and had a society and engaged in economic activity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on March 21, 2014, 04:49:03 PM

What Two Words Do Those 'Seeking to Increase Tyranny and Totalitarianism' Tend to Use?

Freedom and Liberty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on March 21, 2014, 04:49:03 PM
Speaking with guest host Stu Burguiere on the Glenn Beck Program, Lapin explained: "For those seeking to increase tyranny and totalitarianism, fairness and equality is a great thing to work people up about, because you essentially get a population — particularly a docile population — to agree to almost anything in the name of equality and fairness."

That is sort of a platitude, you can get a population to agree to all sorts of things in the name of lots of things.  I would have thought security, fear of foreign danger is good tool.

Of course we are talking about the Glenn Beck program and the guy is pretty insane and not particularly bright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 04:50:13 PM
I don't think a collapse is the same as destruction of the entire populace.  Otherwise all the other collapses aren't actually collapses either.  When Rome fell Italy didn't become depopulated.  There were still people living there, people who spoke Latin, and had a society and engaged in economic activity.

I think the fall of Rome* was actually worse on the provinces than Italy. Italy was retaken by Byzantium, Britain and France remained "barbarian" until the barbarians civilized themselves. Point is, there was an actual fall and it took centuries to recover. Russia in the 90s is not at all comparable, in many if not most ways it improved. Governments collapse all the time, but they rarely take society with them.

*locally, not the actual fall in Rome.

Josquius

On the one hand NASA would say this wouldn't they.
On the other we are on a bit of a countdown timer to get off Earth. We only have one shot.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2014, 06:11:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2014, 04:50:13 PM

I think the fall of Rome* was actually worse on the provinces than Italy. Italy was retaken by Byzantium, Britain and France remained "barbarian" until the barbarians civilized themselves. Point is, there was an actual fall and it took centuries to recover. Russia in the 90s is not at all comparable, in many if not most ways it improved. Governments collapse all the time, but they rarely take society with them.

*locally, not the actual fall in Rome.

Italy's re-conquest by Byzantium (the Eastern Empire) was its fall; the region was devastated by twenty years of back-and-forth warfare and left open to the Lombards by the end.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Minsky Moment

There is some evidence of population decline in the Late Empire, and it seems clear that by the 600s, populations are a lot lower than they were during the imperial period.  But exactly why, how and when that decline occurs is tricky to entangle and a simple connection to late 5th century regime change isn't so clear.  As for literacy, it does decline but from a rather low base.  Very few people were literate in Roman Gaul, Britain and Spain to begin with.

One clear impact is on long-distance trade - the mass requisitions of grain from Africa cease as does the mass production and export of pottery.
Trade does continue but more focused on portable, high value goods: precious metals, amber, furs, slaves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2014, 02:21:29 PM
Judging by this forum, YES.  :D

Civilization as a whole includes sufficient females to allow replenishment.