Selfies cause RAF tanker to plunge and the whole fleet to be grounded

Started by Brazen, March 20, 2014, 07:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

You probably don't read many Military Aviation Authority reports, so here's a quick précis. I suspect a few crew members are going to be in BIG trouble...

QuoteThe UK Military Aviation Authority (MAA) has released an interim report revealing that the terrifying plunge of an A330 tanker that caused the entire fleet to be grounded was due to a loose camera wedging a pilot control.

On 9 February 2014 Voyager ZZ333 suddenly pitched nose down while cruising at 33,000 ft, losing 4,440 ft in height within 27 seconds, before the self-protection system kicked in to recover normal flight.

The resulting negative g forces threw unrestrained passengers and crew to towards the ceiling, resulting in a number of minor injuries. Afterwards the aircraft diverted to Incirlik Airbase in Turkey.

The flight recorder revealed that the incident was unrelated to equipment failure, and the MAA panel found evidence to link the event to a digital SLR camera getting wedged between the Captain's arm rest and the base of the Captain's side-stick.

The camera was found to have been used three minutes before the event, and forensic analysis indicated damage consistent with where it became lodged. Crew interviews have corroborated this evidence.

No selfies in the cockpit, please, Captain.

KRonn

Yep, someone is going to be in some big trouble with their military command.

Monoriu

So selfies means taking a self-photograph?  I read the article twice before I figured that out. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on March 20, 2014, 08:23:08 AM
So selfies means taking a self-photograph?  I read the article twice before I figured that out.

Yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Get away from the anime once in a while and read more news and popular culture, Mono!

'Selfie' named by Oxford Dictionaries as word of 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24992393

Quotenoun (plural selfies)

• informal

A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website: "occasional selfies are acceptable, but posting a new picture of yourself every day isn't necessary"

Josquius

What the hell is with the big media fuss about selfies this last year or two? I bloody hate that word. People have been taking photos of themselves since forever. Back when I was in school even it was a rather regular thing.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2014, 09:03:28 AM
What the hell is with the big media fuss about selfies this last year or two? I bloody hate that word. People have been taking photos of themselves since forever. Back when I was in school even it was a rather regular thing.

Forever and 5 years ago is not the same thing, especially to the Boomers & Gen Xers that are now Journos.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Yeah it is a big deal now because something 30 somethings were doing 10 years ago has finally made it to the mainstream media.  Next they are going to discover Myspace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 20, 2014, 08:42:51 AM
Get away from the anime once in a while and read more news and popular culture, Mono!

'Selfie' named by Oxford Dictionaries as word of 2013
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24992393

Quotenoun (plural selfies)

• informal

A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website: "occasional selfies are acceptable, but posting a new picture of yourself every day isn't necessary"

I was very annoyed when I got told that I shouldn't use so much slang in emails. I had said "Yeah, I can definitely do that for you." It was like are any of those words considered slang in a world where selfie is defined in the OED?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

If it really was selfies, that's doubly dumb, since nobody uses SLRs for selfies. :P
Experience bij!

Brazen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 20, 2014, 10:10:48 AM
If it really was selfies, that's doubly dumb, since nobody uses SLRs for selfies. :P
:lol: Good point, well made. "Pilot with freakishly long arms was reprimanded."

celedhring

I have taken selfies with SLRs and I don't have freakishly long arms. Most factory lenses have ok focal distances.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2014, 11:25:50 AM
I have taken selfies with SLRs and I don't have freakishly long arms. Most factory lenses have ok focal distances.

Any photos from an airplane are likely to be telephoto shots. :contract:
Experience bij!

Brazen

So if a camera in the cockpit can cause an aircraft to plunge, I may have a new MH370 conspiracy theory:
:hmm:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017