33 Hungarian Foods The Whole World Should Know And Love

Started by Syt, March 20, 2014, 03:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.buzzfeed.com/anitabadejo/hungarian-foods-the-world-should-know

And not one of them contains beets. :P

Of the list, popular and common in Austria are:

1. Langos (usually sold on markets, fairs and festivals from stalls).
2. Goulash (well, duh)
3. Palacsinta - Called Palatschinken in Austria, come either sweet, savory, and sometimes deep fried (usually filled with meat in that case)
13. Paprikás Csirke - Paprika chicken (Paprikahendl in Austria, mentioned in Bram Stoker's Dracula, where Harker makes a note to get the recipe for Mina)
14. Stuffed peppers are a popular, cheap, home made dish
15. Túrós Csusza - looks very similar to Austrian Kässpätzle, though I think Austrians use a different cheese
16. Kifli (Kipferl in Austria)
17. Rántott Sajt - deep fried Emmentaler is pretty popular, served with either a sweet cranberry jam or sauce tartar.
28. Kakaós Csiga (chocolate snail) - Schnecke (= snail) in Austria, comes as chocolate, (ground) nuts or poppyseed
29. Hurka & Kolbász (sausages) - the latter is popular as Klobasse
30. Lecsó (vegetable stew) - Letscho here, often sold in a glass and a popular quick and easy sauce/side dish
33. Paprika - duh

Vienna does collect all the best dishes from the old Habsburg Empire. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Goulash is great. So nostalgic....
Never had the others that I know of. Except paprika, its Hungarian? :huh:
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Hell of a lot of dough, cheese, cream, meat and pastry in that cuisine.................very tasty  :cool:

Tamas

Ugly pictures of some food, but a realistic list on everyday eating habits I guess (no fried chicken though!) And most food on the list are bashed by some people as "masterpieces" of the communist era cuisine, which was concentrating on making passable food out of low quality ingredients.

But there are downright ridiculous entries like "kifli". I mean, most of it which you can buy at shops and bakeries are such a low quality stuff that I don't understand how it can make any kind of positive list.

I really like fried cheese but presenting it as some unique culinary invention is laughable. You take a bit of cheese. You fry it. Surely Hungarians are not the only ones who have figured that weird and complicated recipe out.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2014, 04:53:25 AM
We've made #2 a few times and #15 fairly often.

Based on what I have seen and heard, "goulash" in America is "throw some leftover shit together and boil them". So you probably have not, in fact, eaten goulash*

*I am no particular fan of proper goulash either, but it is decent food, when made properly. Did you know it is actually a soup?

Caliga

Wrong.  We made it from a Hungarian recipe translated into English. :sleep:

Syt

Yeah, the soup-goulash is usually sold as "Gulaschsuppe".

"Normal" Gulasch here would be cubes of beef in a brown sauce with paprika. Serve with either potatoes or noodles. Variations would be Schwammerlgulasch (add mushrooms), Erdäpfelgulasch (add potatoes), Würstlgulasch (replace beef with wiener sausage) or Szegediner Gulasch (add Sauerkraut).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2014, 05:01:45 AM
"Normal" Gulasch here would be cubes of beef in a brown sauce with paprika. Serve with either potatoes or noodles.
This would be the variety of goulash that I've made, yeah.  I would say the sauce was more reddish than brown though due to the paprika.

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2014, 05:03:31 AM
"Normal" Gulasch here would be cubes of beef in a brown sauce with paprika. Serve with either potatoes or noodles.
This would be the variety of goulash that I've made, yeah.  I would say the sauce was more reddish than brown though due to the paprika.

I haven't eaten or seen a brown sauce version of it in Hungary. Goulash (Gulyas) is a soup.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 20, 2014, 05:03:31 AM

Reddish brown, yes.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 20, 2014, 04:25:45 AM
Hell of a lot of dough, cheese, cream, meat and pastry in that cuisine.................very tasty  :cool:

That's common all over the Danube basin, when I visited Serbia lots of traditional dishes were like that, very hearty. Plus lots of grilled meat. I still wonder how the girls managed to stay so thin.

Quote from: Tyr on March 20, 2014, 04:20:11 AMExcept paprika, its Hungarian? :huh:

That's like asking if paella is Spanish or pizza Italian.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Somebody should research the genetic basis of that aging process, then.  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on March 20, 2014, 07:09:40 AM
Somebody should research the genetic basis of that aging process, then.  :lol:
if the Russian girls I know are anything to go by rapid aging is induced by vodka and cocaine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.