News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Atlanta's Food Deserts

Started by Syt, March 17, 2014, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I. do. not. want. to. go. buy. groceries. everyday. Get it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 17, 2014, 11:18:47 AM

Neither do I, but it's cool to have that option.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

stop popping out kids Canadian Ed anger.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on March 17, 2014, 11:13:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 09:35:02 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2014, 08:10:10 AM
Go pick up some produce at a stall?  Where can you do that?

I don't know, maybe it's the winters here that prevents those sorts of things from being set up, but I can't imagine doing that.

No farmers' markets in Canada?

Dunno about Alberta but there is a huge one in downtown Toronto.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/st-lawrence-market-toronto-named-world-best-food-145127435.html

There are three big ones in the city in Calgary.  One excellent not that far out of town to the South and an excellent Hutterite market about 45 minutes to the Northwest of the city.  Maybe it's just Edmonton that's lacking this?

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2014, 11:22:14 AM
stop popping out kids Canadian Ed anger.

Tell that to BB. Looks like I'm stoping at 2.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2014, 11:21:58 AM

Neither do I, but it's cool to have that option.

I guess.  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on March 17, 2014, 11:23:01 AM

I don't know, maybe it's the winters here that prevents those sorts of things from being set up, but I can't imagine doing that.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/st-lawrence-market-toronto-named-world-best-food-145127435.html

There are three big ones in the city in Calgary.  One excellent not that far out of town to the South and an excellent Hutterite market about 45 minutes to the Northwest of the city.  Maybe it's just Edmonton that's lacking this?

No, Edmonton has several farmer's markets.  Most open only for the summer, though at least the Strathcona market is open year round (Saturday's only).  Trouble is, of course, that during the winter there's no fresh produce to buy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

There are.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2014, 11:07:54 AM
Beats two pages of "Niggers? Let 'em starve!" Languish bullshit from you assfucks.
Except nobody is starving. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2014, 11:47:11 AM
Quote from: PRC on March 17, 2014, 11:23:01 AM

No, Edmonton has several farmer's markets.  Most open only for the summer, though at least the Strathcona market is open year round (Saturday's only).  Trouble is, of course, that during the winter there's no fresh produce to buy.
My sister is going to that one when she can.  Still, it looks like my thoughts about climate seem to have some basis.

Then again, I've never been the sort of person to go in for that sort of thing anyways.  I live five minutes walk from a supermarket, and so I have all the produce I could want.  Then again, Canadian cities have different issues than US ones.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Detroit is often labeled as a food desert.  Until last year there were no chain grocery stores in the city.  There's two now, a Trader Joes in midtown and a Meijer up near the border with the suburbs.  There's a Farmers Market (Eastern Market) but that's only open once a week.  And there's a good sized Supermercado in Mexican town where you can get fresh produce.

Three supermarkets aren't very many for a city the size of Detroit.  The city is the size of Manhattan, San Francisco and Boston combined.  The bus service is as dysfunctional as every other city service.  So city residents without a car are forced to rely on party stores which have only shelf stable foods.

Kwame Kilpatrick at one time suggested a tax on fast food; this proved to be so unpopular that even Kwame had to back off almost immediately.

One solution that I've heard proposed is to provide a subsidy to party stores to carry fresh produce.  This being Detroit, such a plan would be open to fraud and abuse; but I don't know if there's a better plan.  What other incentive do the party store owners have to provide fresh produce?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Are people in Detroit more food insecure than people in the Gaza Strip?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2014, 04:51:28 PM
Detroit is often labeled as a food desert.  Until last year there were no chain grocery stores in the city.  There's two now, a Trader Joes in midtown and a Meijer up near the border with the suburbs.  There's a Farmers Market (Eastern Market) but that's only open once a week.  And there's a good sized Supermercado in Mexican town where you can get fresh produce.

Three supermarkets aren't very many for a city the size of Detroit.  The city is the size of Manhattan, San Francisco and Boston combined.  The bus service is as dysfunctional as every other city service.  So city residents without a car are forced to rely on party stores which have only shelf stable foods.

Kwame Kilpatrick at one time suggested a tax on fast food; this proved to be so unpopular that even Kwame had to back off almost immediately.

One solution that I've heard proposed is to provide a subsidy to party stores to carry fresh produce.  This being Detroit, such a plan would be open to fraud and abuse; but I don't know if there's a better plan.  What other incentive do the party store owners have to provide fresh produce?

Thats insane, if I throw a rock out from the roof of my house there is a chance I'm going to hit 3 grocery stores & maybe 3 pharmacy. In a 12km radius there is 10 grocery stores.

stjaba

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2014, 04:51:28 PM

What are party stores? Is that like a convenience store?

I've noticed in Tampa that chain convenience stores carry some fresh produce(i.e. a basket of apples and bananas) and freshly made, pre-made sandwiches.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.