Navy Seals board rogue Libya oil tanker Morning Glory

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2014, 06:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

All credit goes to Ed Anger for alerting me to this story.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26609025

QuoteNavy Seals board rogue Libya oil tanker Morning Glory
North Korean-flagged oil tanker at Sidra It is not clear where the Morning Glory was heading after escaping the Libyan naval blockade

The US has taken control of a tanker full of oil loaded from a rebel-held port in Libya, the Pentagon says.

The raid by Navy Seals took place in international waters south of Cyprus, said Rear Adm John Kirby.

The Morning Glory's evasion of a naval blockade at the eastern port of Sidra prompted Libya's parliament to sack Prime Minister Ali Zeidan last week.

The oil terminal has been under the control of militia wanting autonomy for eastern Libya since July 2013.

Meanwhile, there has been a deadly attack on the barracks in the main eastern city of Benghazi.

This was their first attempt to export oil from rebel-held areas. It is not clear where the tanker was headed.

Adm Kirby said the operation had been authorised by President Barack Obama and that no-one had been hurt.

"The Morning Glory is carrying a cargo of oil owned by the Libyan government National Oil Company. The ship and its cargo were illicitly obtained," he said, adding that it would now be returned to a Libyan port.

The vessel was flagged in North Korea but officials in Pyongyang said it had been deregistered because of the incident.

It was said to have been operated by an Egyptian company.

The BBC's Rana Jawad in Tripoli says the US move is likely to act as a deterrent to any further attempts to illicitly buy oil from the rebel-controlled ports.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Can we get that gas?  Price of gas went up three cents locally this weekend. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I was just looking at the wiki article on post-Civil War Libya... assuming that it's accurate, there are still armed militias loyal to Gaddafi there.   :wacko:

Wasn't his regime nothing but a giant cult of personality?  Without him and his sons, what exactly is there to be loyal to? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Ghaddafi is actually one of the 7 (or 12, depends on how you count and who counts) main tribes of Libya. So there are naturally still many loyalists out there.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Is this the tanker supposed to refuel the malysian jet liner?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tonitrus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Beenherebefore

The artist formerly known as Norgy

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.