News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can lawyers be happy?

Started by Savonarola, March 12, 2014, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Man I am so excited to take both of those exams  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 14, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
It's important to note that the ethical inquiry is not essentially limited to lawyers at all, but ultimately implicates everyone. The legal system, by setting up such stark contrasts (of parties, interests, procedure, etc.), lends itself more blatantly to provoking these inquiries.  But many of the same questions could (and perhaps should) be asked about the things that professors or accountants or programmers in the course of their work.

I think all professions have a code of ethics.  Engineering does, and both the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and Professional Engineering Exam have an ethics section.  Accounting must have something similar.  Since programming and professorships don't have professional licensure they may not (or not something universal.)
Accountants do, yes. Its been hammered in a lot recently. Every course I've had that wasn't pure math had a component on ethics.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 03:04:06 PM
Speaking of exams one does not want to take, I have a finance exam tomorrow. 26 pages of equations on the "cheat sheet". 26 god damn pages.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Savonarola

:lol:

You probably won't have to unless you want to work for the power company or something.  The FE was painful for me because I took it so long after undergraduate; but all the equations are given to you.  The PE was much easier for me (I took it right out of graduate school.)  You can bring in any book you want, so there were people who brought in whole suitcases full of books.  I did it with just a general study guide.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on March 14, 2014, 03:08:08 PM
Speaking of exams one does not want to take, I have a finance exam tomorrow. 26 pages of equations on the "cheat sheet". 26 god damn pages.

If it makes you feel any better, the FE guide is over 200 pages of mostly equations.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2014, 03:03:31 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 14, 2014, 02:01:42 PM
It's important to note that the ethical inquiry is not essentially limited to lawyers at all, but ultimately implicates everyone. The legal system, by setting up such stark contrasts (of parties, interests, procedure, etc.), lends itself more blatantly to provoking these inquiries.  But many of the same questions could (and perhaps should) be asked about the things that professors or accountants or programmers in the course of their work.

I think all professions have a code of ethics.  Engineering does, and both the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and Professional Engineering Exam have an ethics section.  Accounting must have something similar.  Since programming and professorships don't have professional licensure they may not (or not something universal.)

Yes, a necessary criteria of being a profession is that it is self regulated and I would think that a code of ethics is an essential part of self regulation.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2014, 03:11:25 PM

:lol:

You probably won't have to unless you want to work for the power company or something.  The FE was painful for me because I took it so long after undergraduate; but all the equations are given to you.  The PE was much easier for me (I took it right out of graduate school.)  You can bring in any book you want, so there were people who brought in whole suitcases full of books.  I did it with just a general study guide.

Yeah ok unfortunately working for the power company is exactly what I want to do.  Anyway thanks for the tips.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2014, 11:20:40 AM
The defendant can quite easily, and with a semi-reasonable level of credibility, question those facts. Is she really permanently disabled? Is there a chance for recovery? Lets have our doctor examine her to see if they get the same results as your doctor. Lets have our therapist examine her. What are the qualifications of her doctor? ETc., etc. etc. ad naseum.
In the UK at least the court will decide if a single expert witness - like a doctor - is appropriate, or if both sides should have their own experts. They can also limit how many experts the losing side has to pay for.

Similarly they can punish a side for not reasonably settling, even if they win. I don't know if this exists in the US but here the courts have a very active role in trying to make the parties settle and if not to keep costs low. It's the overriding objective to deal 'with a case justly and at proportionate cost'  :goodboy:

Of course another factor here is that the overwhelming majority of civil cases are heard by a judge, not a jury.

QuoteIn the normal usage of the term to mean some kind of formal system of moral behavior, it is not at all the case that serving your clients interests is always best done in an ethical manner. To the extent that it is true in the more narrow sense you are using, it is a tautology.
My understanding is that broadly the lawyers ethical duty is to act in their clients best interests unless there is another they owe a duty to - the courts or the regulators for example.

Also of my friends the lawyers seem the most ethically bound and concerned by ethics. You think they're bad, talk to an oil trader for ten minutes :lol:

QuoteSo the professional ethics try to come up with rules that delineate the way this agent should or shouldn't serve his principal's interest.  What is produced is often difficult to apply to real situations; at trainings, I've watched an actual State Bar Ethics Committee Chair say about his own hypos "I don't know what the answer is here." 
My lecturer, and my understanding is that ethics is taken far less seriously here (unlike conduct which is regulated), proposed Levinas's interpretation of the other as a decent theoretical basis. Which it is, from the tiny amount I understood :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 03:23:44 PM

Yeah ok unfortunately working for the power company is exactly what I want to do.  Anyway thanks for the tips.

Ah, okay, then you'll definitely have to take the FE/PE.  Why did you choose power as your specialty (if you don't mind my asking)?

Eddie Teach

Does he need a reason to seek power?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

I don't think Valmy would be that kind of ruler. :P

The Brain

I have a professional code. Do what thou wilt is the whole of the code.

What I... er... wilt, is often to grab some extra cinnamon buns from afternoon meetings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on March 15, 2014, 02:41:55 AM
I have a professional code. Do what thou wilt is the whole of the code.

Your lifestyle to me seems so tragic.  :(