News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Having Dickie's BBQ for lunch... they ordered it in for a lunch meeting.  It's a Texas-based chain but they just started opening locations here about six months ago.  Delicious. :mmm:

Only one other place around here that I know of actually knows how to do brisket correctly.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Behold, the mighty Sandwich reference board!

*waits for nitpicks*
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

So a doner kebab is *not* a gyro! :o

Syt

I find placing some of the stuff weird - e.g. a döner kebab could also be with chicken, and a Schnitzelsemmel is more likely to be a chicken or pork schnitzel than a veal schnitzel.

Props for including Bosna, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosna_(sausage)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

The biggest jacket (baked) potato that I've ever seen. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

pulled pork with jalapenos on a tortilla from Holy Smokes, the BBQ Cowboy. :cool:

derspiess

Frau Spiess made some pork schnitzel and spaetzel. It's uncanny how well she can do German cuisine. Anywho, I'm polishing off the leftovers as a late night snack.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2015, 10:31:45 PM
Frau Spiess made some pork schnitzel and spaetzel. It's uncanny how well she can do German cuisine. Anywho, I'm polishing off the leftovers as a late night snack.

Cause German cuisine is not that much different the American cuisine?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Kinda. But she's not from here and is reluctant to adopt American recipes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Maybe she read Frau Mengele's Old Time Recipes from the Fatherland.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2015, 10:46:13 PM
Kinda. But she's not from here and is reluctant to adopt American recipes.
I got a box of Argentinian foodstuffs in the mail on Monday.  A friend bought us a subscription to this service that sends you a box of food and accompanying recipes from a random place every month.  I should run that stuff by you to see what it all is.

Caliga

spiess, in case you give a crap  :D here's what I got in that box:

Vanoli chimichurri sauce
Memories of Patagonia Malbec wine marinade
Bake Love Coo! butter cookies
Dona Magdalena dulce de leche
Moa Gourmet green olive paste
Chamana and Inti Zen teas
Dulcor dulce de membrillo

I obviously know what chimichurri and dulce de leche are, but never heard of membrillo before.  I googled it and I guess it's made from quinces?

The thing also came with a recipe for some cookies called alfajores that apparently are made with cornmeal and spread with dulce de leche. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

I ate dinner in a Magic Time Machine. Food was OK, atmosphere worth taking a look. Though the kitchen sink approach to thematic design may rankle some, I found it quite amusing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Why did I not hear of this place when I was there? :hmm: