News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you eating?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 15, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

It's not that I didn't like it. Just got bored of it. Refried beans with everything, rice, unleavened bread. Didn't seem much variety. Of course, I was only there for three weeks and only in the south of the country and MC, so hardly exposed to much of the country.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 06:22:13 AM
Fake American Mexican restaurant food, not so much unless you really, really like cheese

Oh sure their culture is "authentic" but mine is "fake". Stupid fake cultures.

But really that is because it is misnamed as "Mexican", since it is really border food. I also tend to associate it with being hot and spicy and less being cheesey. But your mileage may vary, I am sure it is different as you get away from Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Hey Valmy, I'm thinking of cooking a chilli at the weekend. Any thoughts on this recipe from the Guardian, which attempts to be authentic

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/may/12/cook-perfect-chilli-con-carne

Beef dripping or vegetable oil, to fry
1kg mince
2 onions, thinly sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
500ml freshly brewed coffee
2 chipotle chillies
2 ancho chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1 tbsp dark brown muscovado sugar
2 tsp chilli powder, or to taste
2 fresh long green chillies
400g cooked kidney beans

1. Heat the fat in a large, heavy-bottomed pan on a high heat, then brown the mince in batches, stirring regularly: don't crowd the pan, or it will steam rather than brown. Add the onions and stir fry briefly, until slightly browned.

2. Turn the heat down and add the garlic. Stir and cook until the onion has completely softened, then add the coffee and a generous pinch of salt and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.

3. Meanwhile, cut the stalks off the dried chillies and take out the seeds. Grind together in a pestle and mortar with rock salt and the roasted cumin seeds. Stir in the oregano and chilli powder.

4. Add the spices to the pan along with the sugar fresh chillies and simmer, partially covered, for another half hour, adding a little water if it seems dry, or you prefer a saucier chilli. 10 minutes before the end of cooking, add the beans, taste, and adjust the seasoning and spicing if necessary. If possible, leave overnight and reheat to serve.

Does the British version of chilli con carne have its own merits, or is it an affront to one of the southwest's proudest pieces of culinary heritages? Do tomatoes add anything to the dish – and what about the vexed question of beans? And what do you serve it with: rice, tortillas, or a big plate of chips?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 06:22:13 AM
Real Mexican food is great IMO.  Fake American Mexican restaurant food, not so much unless you really, really like cheese.  I would wager British Mexican food is probably a lot like American Mexican food.  I'm surprised you didn't like it in Mexico as I've never known anyone who disliked authentic Mexican food. :hmm:

Fake American Mexican restaurant food is pretty good, though usually would be better if tomatoes and chunky salsa were available to add, like on my fake American homemade tacos.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Does anyone know if the Margarita was invented in Mexico or the US?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on March 25, 2015, 08:01:48 AM

Does the British version of chilli con carne have its own merits, or is it an affront to one of the southwest's proudest pieces of culinary heritages? Do tomatoes add anything to the dish – and what about the vexed question of beans? And what do you serve it with: rice, tortillas, or a big plate of chips?

Obviously both of those things, the tomatoes and the beans, are big no-nos :P

But generally I like that recipe, it sure keeps the focus on the chilis.

I generally serve mine with cheddar cheese, crackers, and pickles because I just think they taste really good with chili.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
Pretty sure Mexico. 

It was invented in Cuba by an American socialite (named...drum roll...Margaret). Nothing at all to do with Mexico.

derspiess

If you really want to impress people with chili, offer them a three-way:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

When I don't bring leftovers, I get a chicken salad wrap with lettuce, tomato and cheddar cheese for lunch. Today I felt adventurous and had it with swiss cheese instead.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 01:05:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
Pretty sure Mexico. 

It was invented in Cuba by an American socialite (named...drum roll...Margaret). Nothing at all to do with Mexico.

Wrong.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 25, 2015, 01:08:32 PM

Wrong.

Well nobody knows exactly. However I met the woman shortly before she died so I advance her story out of respect. Her Margaritas were really salty.

Capetan Mihali

I think the margarita is pretty much a bonafide Mexican cocktail, even if it isn't hugely popular there, as long as it isn't the frozen slushy variety. 

Still, the consummate Mexican mixed drink is the paloma -- a highball made of tequila and Squirt (grapefruit/citrus soda that can be simulated excellently by Polar Half-and-Half for those of us lucky enough to live in the distribution radius of Polar products from the home base in Worcester, Mass.) with a squeeze of lime, very much worth trying and IME more enjoyable than the very fine margarita.

Best of all is mixing up a small glass of sangrita (tomato juice, orange juice, lime juice) to back up a straight tequila. :yum:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 25, 2015, 06:20:08 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2015, 05:47:17 AM
I am formally notifying Cal that I will be eating at Packo's today on my trip to Toledo.

My colon will explode on the return trip.
AAR PLZ

I ate there. The end.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 25, 2015, 03:55:23 PM
I think the margarita is pretty much a bonafide Mexican cocktail, even if it isn't hugely popular there, as long as it isn't the frozen slushy variety. 

Even in the Mexican origin stories it is still a border area creation and thus fake according to Caliga :(

The woman I met who said she invented it is that Margaret Sames woman but Wiki says she was in Acapulco so...eh place near the USA rich Americans hung out in. Close enough.