And we're back!

Main Menu

RadioShack to close ~1,100 stores

Started by Caliga, March 05, 2014, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 08:08:21 PM
I don't know. I mean I hate that Walmart but every time I visit I'm like:

I can appreciate that, but the end game of the predatory American capitalist model is the Wal-Mart end game.  Everybody will work there as temp contractors with no benefits.  Everybody will shop there, as there will be no choice.

Remember Demolition Man and how there was only one restaurant in the future, and it was Taco Bell?  It's not as unrealistic as you think.  Just be glad you'll be too dead to see it.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 08:08:21 PM
I don't know. I mean I hate that Walmart but every time I visit I'm like:

I can appreciate that, but the end game of the predatory American capitalist model is the Wal-Mart end game.  Everybody will work there as temp contractors with no benefits.  Everybody will shop there, as there will be no choice.

Remember Demolition Man and how there was only one restaurant in the future, and it was Taco Bell?  It's not as unrealistic as you think.  Just be glad you'll be too dead to see it.

I don't hate corporations though. I'm already willing to sell a firstborn to Amazon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: fhdz on March 06, 2014, 11:47:13 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2014, 10:59:44 AM
They could, but then they'd have to shrink the scope of their business drastically. :hmm:

They're already doing that by closing 1100 stores. You might make the argument that the n-1100 stores left could actually post some small successes, rather than just slowly and inevitably closing themselves.

"We lost $400 million last year. If we close down all our stores but the best performing one, we will almost inevitably be successful in reducing the magnitude of our losses."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 08:14:34 PM
Do you only go to the thrift shop?

Though they were a great boon when I was in college, I haven't shopped at a thrift store in ages. Actually I may have bought a really cheap print at one in Palm Springs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I do get some kick out of going to Walmart and getting to browse so much shit I can actually afford, unlike in most stores.  Which means I end up overspending ultimately but on tons of different (crappy) things.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

That would be a grim future indeed.  I had a Taco Bell chicken quesadilla for dinner tonight.  It was DEEPLY UNSATISFYING.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

BRING BACK THE CHICKEN ENCHILADA GRILLED SUFFT BURRITO

Caliga

They had a burrito for a while that had chicken and rice in it with some herbs like cilantro.  It was surprisingly good.  Then they got rid of it, of course... since Taco Bell is owned by Yum! a.k.a. Great Destroyer of Restaurants.

Ed Anger

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2015, 10:00:54 PM
That would be a grim future indeed.  I had a Taco Bell chicken quesadilla for dinner tonight.  It was DEEPLY UNSATISFYING.

Is making a quesadilla at home very time consuming? :unsure:

Caliga

No, but I lacked tortillas, cheese, and chicken so it wouldn't have been that easy tonight.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 05, 2015, 10:11:17 PM
I loathe Yum brands.
As well you should.  It was helmed for years by the stupid fucker that created Crystal Pepsi.  HEY DOUCHEBAG THAT RAN CRYSTAL PEPSI INTO THE GROUND, WHY NOT COME OVER HERE AND RUN ALL THESE FAST FOOD CHAINS INTO THE GROUND TOO NOW

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2015, 10:14:09 PM
No, but I lacked tortillas, cheese, and chicken so it wouldn't have been that easy tonight.

I don't understand. You maintain a household but don't have those items on hand?