News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RadioShack to close ~1,100 stores

Started by Caliga, March 05, 2014, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

If you're doing it yourself in this modern world, then you're not being a good consumer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

I don't like "underperforming". "Differently performing" is better.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

They do have a lot of weird/unusual connectors and assorted electronic and audio supplies, but their markups are awful. Only went there in a pinch.

Darth Wagtaros

Too expensive.  Even their DIY stuff can be purchased elsewhere for cheaper. 
PDH!

Caliga

Probably you can get it all from NewEgg for a fraction of the price, no?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2014, 07:53:28 AM
Probably you can get it all from NewEgg for a fraction of the price, no?

No.  Newegg is dabbling in  components through their Marketplace, but the selection is shit.  Mouser, Digi-key, and Jameco are where I buy most of my components.  If I need something immediately, I have Fry's.

Capetan Mihali

I'm stopping by later today to see if they have one of those things to connect an Ipod to the AUX port in a car.  :blush:  The lady on the phone said it'd be $10.  I just finally got a used Ipod as a gift, and also got a new enough car back in the summer to actually try this out, but I keep delaying.

I've been the Shack off and on for various needs.  The last time I was there, I wanted an Ethernet cable, but the guy working there (couldn't really call him a "salesman") straight up told me that the RadioShack prices were ridiculously inflated and that I should buy them online if I could afford to wait a few days, and that maybe they'd get more sensible about the pricing if nobody bought them.  :sleep:  He also persuaded me to buy the cheapest possible computer speakers, saying they worked about as well as the other ones, even when I walked in there saying I wanted to spend a little more to get better quality.  :lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

That's service.

I remembering going into one for some computer component (SATA cable?) and the dude didn't even know what I was talking about.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 09:15:54 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 09:07:46 PM
They should go for a different business model.
What do you suggest they try?

They could go back to their old business model, which was selling electronics parts for DIY enthusiasts, RC hobbyists, and so on.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

They could, but then they'd have to shrink the scope of their business drastically. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: fhdz on March 06, 2014, 09:54:28 AM
They could go back to their old business model, which was selling electronics parts for DIY enthusiasts, RC hobbyists, and so on.

With the Maker movement in full force I have dreamed of doing that myself.  I don't have near enough capital, though. :P

MadImmortalMan

http://www.l-com.com

Those guys have been a good source of the things I used to buy at RS. Also blackbox.com for specifically cabling and racking stuff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 07:46:49 PM
Serious question:  Does anyone still go to RadioShack for anything?  Do they have anything you can't get at Target, WalMart, etc.? :hmm:

I needed a BNC connector at Christmas time.  And getting in and out of a Radio Shack is more convenient than all the bullshit that comes with dealing with a Target, WalMart, etc.

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2014, 10:59:44 AM
They could, but then they'd have to shrink the scope of their business drastically. :hmm:

They're already doing that by closing 1100 stores. You might make the argument that the n-1100 stores left could actually post some small successes, rather than just slowly and inevitably closing themselves.

fhdz

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 06, 2014, 11:51:02 AM
Quote from: fhdz on March 06, 2014, 09:54:28 AM

With the Maker movement in full force I have dreamed of doing that myself.  I don't have near enough capital, though. :P

Yeah, they could really pimp themselves out by becoming official Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and Twine resellers, in addition to all the "standard" DIY electronics shizz.