And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Carl Sagan is Truly Irreplaceable

Started by jimmy olsen, February 27, 2014, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
I go to church every Sunday but I guess to Spicey I am a militant Atheist. :lol:

If you expended as much time & effort as Nye does in going around and ridiculing the bible, you would be.

How is he "ridiculing the bible"?  From what I have seen he has been expending a bunch of time lifting people out of scientific ignorance.  The two are not the same.

derspiess

I'd agree that the two don't have to be the same.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 12:35:51 PM

So explain to me why you say he is a "militant evangelical atheist"

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2014, 12:37:57 PM

Because in the past 2-3 years he seems to have had a bug up his ass about religion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 12:41:34 PM

Because in the past 2-3 years he seems to have had a bug up his ass about religion.

Ok, that is your third negative characterization.  What I am asking you is what facts do you have to back up your characterizations.  ie what has he actually done?

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

It would help if Derspeiss could give us some examples.  This is the best I can find. http://www.conservapedia.com/Bill_Nye
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

From the same website

QuoteLiberal claptrap is pretentious nonsense propagated by liberals and the liberal media. It has the wordy, non-substantive characteristics of liberal style along with senseless, often self-serving conclusions.

Liberal claptrap typically pushes the listener toward an illogical viewpoint without saying so in a direct manner. Frequently liberal claptrap attempts to attract attention to a liberal and away from God.

The Bible criticizes liberal claptrap at 1 Corinthians 1:17.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Liberal_claptrap

:lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 01:23:11 PM
From the same website

QuoteLiberal claptrap is pretentious nonsense propagated by liberals and the liberal media. It has the wordy, non-substantive characteristics of liberal style along with senseless, often self-serving conclusions.

Liberal claptrap typically pushes the listener toward an illogical viewpoint without saying so in a direct manner. Frequently liberal claptrap attempts to attract attention to a liberal and away from God.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Liberal_claptrap

:lol:

You coming dangerously close to being labelled a militant athiest

Barrister

I know Nye has spoken out about creationism, but unless there's something more that's not the same as being a "militant atheist".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2014, 01:23:11 PM

It is nice some political partisans have enough self-awareness to make fun of themselves like that.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

I once heard one of the Vatican astronomers, Br. Guy Consolmagno (SJ), deliver a lecture at the Detroit Science Center.  He said that he had met Carl Sagan when they had both been invited to speak at a college radio station.  The interviewer was some sort of new age type (par for the course in college radio,) who apparently was unfamiliar with Sagan's work.  The interviewer asked Sagan if he believed there was a mysterious cosmic force which controlled the movement of the stars.  Sagan answered "Yes, and that force is called 'Gravity.'"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

That is a request only a militant evangelical atheist would make.

Nye has been a militant evangelical atheist regarding creationism, UFOs, climate change denial, and Pluto-as-a-planetism.  The evidence of his guilt is so overwhelming that it doesn't even need to be specified.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I like how I called Nye a douchecanoe first and Spicy took all the heat.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive