And we're back!

Main Menu

The 20th century’s 10 deadliest battles

Started by Brazen, February 27, 2014, 06:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2014, 11:18:34 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 27, 2014, 10:56:05 AM
770,888 according to G.F. Krivosheev for the Russians.

180,040 KIA/MIA
590,848 WIA

Krivosheev includes non-combat "casualties" such as frostbite victims and anyone else who reports to a doctor for treatment for anything.   Nothing wrong with that (it is just another methodology) but we'd need comparable German numbers in order to conclude that the Soviets lost twice as many men in Bagration as the Germans.

You must also coincide the dates the different sides encompass for the operation. For the Russians it's 23 June- 29 Aug '44. German sources cite 22 June-4 July '44 for the German loss figures. So, it would be logical to conclude the Russian figures would be much lower using the German dates.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2014, 11:34:42 AM
Mukden?

The author can't decide whether he is talking about battles or disasters (or neither, like Tet).  Muckden was certainly up there on the casualty scale for battles, but I think there were probably ten battles on the eastern front in WW2 alone that had greater casualties.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Can someone go ahead with the ACW thread highjack already?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

IMO, the only EF battle that belongs on that list is Stalingrad.

Moscow a close second.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on February 27, 2014, 01:13:09 PM

Moscow a close second.

I'd argue that Second Kharkov and the Battle of Berlin belong to that list as well, if the list is one of costly disasters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2014, 12:27:26 PM

Those 20th century battles/disasters/engagements or whatever bone pick Grumbler has, have nothing on the battles/disasters/engagements of the American Civil War. 

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2014, 01:48:20 PM

Moscow a close second.

I'd argue that Second Kharkov and the Battle of Berlin belong to that list as well, if the list is one of costly disasters.

I would possible add Kursk to the list.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2014, 02:20:41 PM
I would possible add Kursk to the list.
I'm not sure you could argue that Kursk was really a disaster for the Germans or Soviets, though.  The Soviets won, but suffered considerably more losses.  If it is just bloody battles, I'd agree with you.

Bayraktar!

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

Those 20th century battles/disasters/engagements or whatever bone pick Grumbler has, have nothing on the battles/disasters/engagements of the American Civil War. 

This is true.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 27, 2014, 02:37:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2014, 02:00:43 PM

This is true.

Those pussies at kursk hide behind armour.

lustindarkness

At the Great Languish Gettysburg Meet grumbler showed us where he fought those glorious three days. He explained how they would line up and march straight into the enemy lines. No armor there, those brave men had no need for that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Just imagine if Pickett's men had kevlar vests.   :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 27, 2014, 02:52:17 PM
Just imagine if Pickett's men had kevlar vests.   :hmm:

Wouldnt that just weigh them down as they charged?

Viking

Moscow a close second.

It says deadliest battles, not decisive.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2014, 02:27:32 PM
I'm not sure you could argue that Kursk was really a disaster for the Germans or Soviets, though.  The Soviets won, but suffered considerably more losses.  If it is just bloody battles, I'd agree with you.

It was a strategic blunder for the Germans, but yeah I wouldn't say it was a disaster. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall