News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whole Foods and Bull

Started by Sheilbh, February 24, 2014, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on February 25, 2014, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 11:43:35 AMWell I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that every meal should be a culinary masterpiece. I also thing there's room between that and slugging through mediocre food on the regular.

"slugging through"

there's room for better tasting meals every now and then, but for the most part why bother? I don't hate the meals I eat, if I did I wouldn't eat them. I enjoy everything I eat. so while on an objective standard a dish might be "mediocre," to me it tastes quite good

do you see what I mean by "it's not a disadvantage, just different"

You're special :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on February 25, 2014, 11:40:05 AM
If I'm eating at home there's also prep time. I'd rather not spend more time preparing than eating.
Cooking's a bit of a hobby for me. It's up there with books in terms of things I enjoy spending money and time on. So my perspective's probably a bit different.

But I often spend an afternoon on the weekend cooking an enormous stew or curry that will then feed me for the next week (or more if I'm freezing it) so I just have to cook potatoes or rice or make a salad when I get home. Also I've more or less memorised a few recipes that I know take at most 10-15 minutes like a carbonara or a few other pasta sauces.

Obviously there's nights when I just want pizza, a take away or to eat out but I think there's ways around not wanting to cook too much on a weeknight while still having filling good food.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2014, 10:00:18 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2014, 09:42:53 AM
There might be a placedo effect.
I really don't think nutrition matters though.

I don't buy organic, when I do, because it's better for me but because I think it tastes better - or because it's a few pence more. It's particularly true with meat. Though also some veg, which is generally poor in London.

Yep, its all about the taste.  Meat and eggs in particular.  The nutrition part flows from the taste.  If I cook real food that tastes great the boys, and us, are much more likely to eat better than would otherwise be the case.