News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Tax Season

Started by Admiral Yi, February 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just finished mine.  This year's Turbotax is quite streamlined.  Only problem I had was it kept insisting I input a value from 1099-INT, whereas I don't have any 1099-INTs.  It was finally happy when I put in zero.

Where y'all at?

MadImmortalMan

I'll let you know in April. Not shelling out thousands of dollars until absolutely necessary.

Edit: BTW---Last year I filed at 10:00 PM on the 15th. Pacific Time. They go by Eastern Time, so I had to pay a late fine of like $130. Watch out for that shit.  <_<
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 26, 2014, 04:47:44 PM
I'll let you know in April. Not shelling out thousands of dollars until absolutely necessary.

Same though my thousand thankfully is not usually in multiples.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

What the hell are you guys talking about?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2014, 04:56:45 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about?

America. Don't worry your ugly little head. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I already filed.  $700 refund incoming.  Having 3 bouncing baby tax deductions comes in handy.   :cool:

Realized we'd been doing a boneheaded move.  Opened a RRSP for Mrs. B a few years ago, since she has no pension plan.  But the plan is solely in her name, and right now her income is very low.  We should have opened it as a spousal RRSP, so I could claim the deduction, since I'm at a dramatically higher marginal rate than her. :grr:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

My money sprouted wings and flew away.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2014, 05:10:16 PM
My money sprouted wings and flew away.

You know they can more easily track off shore accounts now right?

Ed Anger

Like I trust those Swiss and Cayman island assholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2014, 05:13:18 PM
Like I trust those Swiss and Cayman island assholes.

Years ago when I articled at a large firm a senior partner came into our articled student office and asked who wanted to go to Switzerland on an errand.  All hands immediately shot up.  Fortunately I wasnt selected.  The poor sod who was had the errand of personally serving an order requiring a bank to disclose certain documents.  When he arrived at the bank to serve the papers he was arrested by the police and put on the next plane out with instructions to inform the firm that if they attempted any such nonsense again their would be jail time.

But I think those days of secrecy are a thing of the past.

Admiral Yi

If y'all furriners feel the need to share how great your tax system is, please go ahead.  :)

Grey Fox

I expect to pay out a couple hundred this year

:(

nevermind, almost 2k in return. My son's getting his own room it seems.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
If y'all furriners feel the need to share how great your tax system is, please go ahead.  :)

The tax system is horrible (the tax is too damn high), but for many people doing their taxes just means sending a simple SMS or similar level of effort.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Used Turbo tax again, and got back $4700.  I didn't expect or want that much back.