News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2016, 11:35:16 PM
Just finished the third season of RWBY...apparently coauthored by GRRM now.

He needs to finish ASOIAF instead of doing all these side projects.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Owari Monogatari.  Literally, the last story.  This is the latest installment of one of the most successful anime series in Japan, based on disc sales.  An anime series is seen as doing "okish" if the blu-ray disc sales reach 5-6,000.  This one easily exceeds 20k, and the source novel is a mainstream best-seller. 

In this world, curses happen to ordinary people, and all Japanese traditional myths are true.  People can become weightless, or turn into demons.  Or they can be chased by unidentified flying objects.  It is up to the protagonists to deal with these strange occurrences.  The show is known for its highly stylised animation (see poster above), extremely lengthy but witty dialogue, and detective story-style plot twists. 

In this latest 12-episode show, the male protagonist teams up with a girl who is usually depicted as a possible antagonist instead of one of his usual crew, to investigate what really happened in a class revolt that took place years ago.  In the middle arc, a new girl linked to the incident is introduced, and she is totally hostile to the protagonist.  In the final arc, a samurai who was supposed to be dead 400 years ago reappeared, and he wanted to meet Shinobu, one of the many female leads.  But Shinobu absolutely refused to meet him. 

This is essentially more story arcs of this hugely successful franchise.  The stories continue to be entertaining and the animation visually stunning.  The only real problem is the name, which implies some sort of conclusion.  There is none whatsoever.  There is no beginning or end, just more stories. 

Monoriu

Quick guide on the Monogatari series, in release order. 

Bakemonogatari (Monster Story)(15 episodes)(Hitagi Crab, Mayoi Snail, Suruga Monkey, Nadeko Snake, and Tsubasa Cat)
Nisemonogatari (Fake Story)(11 episodes)(Karen Bee and Tsukihi Phoenix)

Released as a "TV special"
Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (Black Cat Story)(4 episodes)(Tsubasa Family)

Monogatari Series Second Season (26 episodes in total, including 3 summary episodes).  Breakdown:
Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (White Cat Story) (5 episodes)(Tsubasa Tiger)
Kabukimonogatari (Slope Story) (4 episodes) (Mayoi Jiangshi)
Otorimonogatari (Decoy Story) (4 episodes)(Nadeko Medusa)
Onimonogatari (Ghost Story) (4 episodes)(Shinobu Time)
Koimonogatari (Love Story) (6 episodes)(Hitagi End)

The following two are released as "TV specials"
Hanamonogatari (Flower Story)(5 episodes)(Suruga Devil)
Tsukimonogatari (Possess Story)(4 episodes (Yotsugi Doll)

Owarimonogatari (Last Story)(12 episodes)(Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, Sodachi Lost, Shinobu Mail)
Koyomimonogatari (Koyomi Story)(12 episodes)(currently being broadcast)

Kizumonogatari (Wound Story)(3 movies)(Koyomi Vamp)(prequel, only first movie has been released in theatres)

Malthus

Since it got no traction in the main TV thread - have any of you seen Gravity Falls? It's western animation (specifically, a Disney show), but often references (sometimes for sarcastic purposes  ;) ) Anime and its tropes. My kid watches it, and so I've been watching it - it is very good.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2016, 06:37:09 PM
Since it got no traction in the main TV thread - have any of you seen Gravity Falls? It's western animation (specifically, a Disney show), but often references (sometimes for sarcastic purposes  ;) ) Anime and its tropes. My kid watches it, and so I've been watching it - it is very good.

Never heard of it.  Western shows like RWBY at least appears in my radar, as Tim has talked about it and it is quite popular in Japan.  This is the first time I have heard of Gravity Falls. 

What makes you think it is good?   :)

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 16, 2016, 06:37:09 PM

Never heard of it.  Western shows like RWBY at least appears in my radar, as Tim has talked about it and it is quite popular in Japan.  This is the first time I have heard of Gravity Falls. 

What makes you think it is good?   :)

A number of things.

The first is the very high quality of the animation - not unusual for a Disney production, of course.

Second, while this is a kid's show, it is deliberately aimed at a wider and adult market as well; it contains tons of references and jokes that kids could not really be expected to get.

Third, unlike some western kid's shows, it has a very well imagined overall plot arc, with a definite beginning, middle and end. The end is spectacular: a full-blown version of the apocalypse as imagined by H.P. Lovecraft. They even changed the opening credits to an "apocalyptic" version.

Original opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DUpDxFJyg

Apocalyptic opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvdqkl2UH4

They put tons of work into the details - it is full of interesting blink-and-you-miss-it details.

Unlike anime, they feature actual schoolgirls, not schoolgirls as envisioned by anime enthusiasts.  ;) Except in one episode, where one of the (adult male) characters summons up an anime schoolgirl from a computer dating program. This doesn't work out well for anyone.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

That sounds interesting.  I'll watch it someday, but my to-do list is very long :weep:

jimmy olsen

Speaking of excellent American animation.

Avatar the Last Airbender, and its sequel The Legend of Korra certainly qualify.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2016, 08:05:39 PM

Avatar the Last Airbender, and its sequel The Legend of Korra certainly qualify.

Gravity Falls is very comparable to Avatar the Last Airbender (though frankly, I think Gravity Falls has better animation - if more stylized. Disney has money and to spare for that!).

Both series have a definite overarching plot, with a beginning, middle and end, combined with a "monster of the week" type format.

In both, some (but not all) of the bad guys reach realizations that they are on the wrong path.

Both feature a brother/sister duo as a central focus.

In both, the hero's journey is as much about coming of age as about saving the world. Both somewhat analogize growing up with terror and struggle (in Gravity Falls this is more explicit: puberty = Armageddon  :D). 

In both, a central element of dramatic tension is the unreciprocated love of a younger boy for an older teen (though in Avatar, it eventually gets reciprocated! Gravity Falls is more realistic in this respect).

Brazen

My friend who died yesterday was quite well-known in anime and manga circles, and ran Renga Media. Never rated his stuff personally, but he had quite a fanbase.

http://downthetubes.net/?p=29342

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-02-18/tony-luke-passes-away/.98828

He also (successfully, I believe) sued Disney over stealing one of his character concepts.
https://www.facebook.com/neilgaiman/posts/10152949955486016

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2016, 09:09:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2016, 08:05:39 PM

In both, the hero's journey is as much about coming of age as about saving the world. Both somewhat analogize growing up with terror and struggle (in Gravity Falls this is more explicit: puberty = Armageddon  :D). 

In both, a central element of dramatic tension is the unreciprocated love of a younger boy for an older teen (though in Avatar, it eventually gets reciprocated! Gravity Falls is more realistic in this respect).

Well, he is the Messiah.

Perhaps you would prefer the sequel, where a torrid love triangle ensues, only for the girls to eventually get fed up, dump the middle man and pair up with each other. ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Just finished Gargantia on the verdurous planet.
Absolutely excellent.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2016, 08:40:19 PM
Just finished Gargantia on the verdurous planet.
Absolutely excellent.

Did you watch the OVAs?  Episodes 14 and 15, as well as Far Beyond the Voyage? 

Siege

Humm. Nope. I just watched was available in Netflix. 13 episodes.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2016, 08:54:30 PM
Humm. Nope. I just watched was available in Netflix. 13 episodes.

The extra episodes are good.  Episodes 14 and 15 add a bit more background information.  Far Beyond the Voyage are two hour-long OVAs that tell what happens after the end of the story.  It is a sequel.  If you like the story, I recommend that you watch them  :hug: