News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

How do budget problems result in *more* episodes?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2015, 05:02:05 AM
How do budget problems result in *more* episodes?

They didn't have the staff to finish them on schedule, so they split them apart so they had longer to work on the second half.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on November 16, 2015, 04:29:02 AM
I'll watch it for sure, but the queue in my to-do list is long.  Really long  :ph34r:

Looked up the DVD release and you can watch the show, either as separate episodes (ten, not sixteen, so they must have edited them together for the DVD) or as a movie. I imagine that they showed it as a movie at the theater. Watching it as episodes does make more sense to me. There are four important arcs in the first season, and they don't really flow into each other in a way that they would if they were a movie, instead of a multi season serial show.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2015, 01:10:20 AM

The clip above shows a rather typical anime "shipping war", where fans who support different pairings argue with each other over who will win in the end (the source manga is ongoing and there is no conclusion yet). 

Pft, winning, nor plausibilty has nothing to do with it. The internet is a horrible place.

Mildly NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cq8mK1vBRA

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

2015 is about to end.  Looking back, I consider these to be my top 5 shows in 2015, defined as any show that has an episode that was broadcast in Japanese TV in 2015. 

1. Kiseijuu
2. Seven Deadly Sins
3. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
4. Durarara
5. Owari Monogatari

Monoriu

These are the shows that I plan to watch in Winter 2016 (January - March)

1. Assassination Classroom Season 2.  A powerful and super-fast alien has threatened to destroy Earth unless he is allowed to teach a class in a Japanese middle school.  The world governments train the students to assassinate this threat, and the alien openly encourages them to do so.  A comedic and heart-warming story about Japanese school life. 

2. Durarara Ketsu (or part 3 of Season 2).  A story about gang wars in modern Tokyo, with a heavy dose of supernatural elements.  Tons and tons of characters, complex and converging plot lines. 

3. The Town Where Only I am Missing.  The protagonist is a salaryman who has the ability to go back in time to fix things.  He went back in time to when he was in school to prevent his mother's death in the future.  When I first read the plot summary, I decided to skip this show without a second thought.  Until it was announced that my favourite composer, Yuki Kajiura, would do the soundtrack.  I immediately put this in the "must see" category.  Or rather, must listen.

4. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash.  Plot details are scarce, but it seems it is another one of those "wake-up in a fantasy world and need to fight" shows.  Somehow I am drawn to this by the art style and traditional party RPG adventure elements.  Will only see this if I have time, and/or the reviews are good. 

Lettow77

Since Mono shared his top five for the year and interest in the coming season, I thought i'd do the same. It was hard listing just five, but:

1.Hibike! Euphonium

2.Non Non Biyori Repeat

3.Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka??

4.Kiseijuu

5. Gakkou Gurashi
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Lettow77

Dagashi Kashi

I feel like i'm going to regret wanting to watch this. The leading heroine's lewd stares are unsettling. But small traditional candy stores are not a bad subject.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Like mono, I was attracted to the talent here in spite of the synopsis. I wish the source material wasn't still in progress, but this anime might impress anyway.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Historical setting Rakugo anime is a shoe-in.

Sekkou Boys

This one seems more up languish's alley. An idol anime, but the idols are busts from antiquity. Saint George is already confirmed for best girl.

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2016, 08:53:33 PM

Dagashi Kashi

I feel like i'm going to regret wanting to watch this. The leading heroine's lewd stares are unsettling. But small traditional candy stores are not a bad subject.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Like mono, I was attracted to the talent here in spite of the synopsis. I wish the source material wasn't still in progress, but this anime might impress anyway.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Historical setting Rakugo anime is a shoe-in.

Sekkou Boys

This one seems more up languish's alley. An idol anime, but the idols are busts from antiquity. Saint George is already confirmed for best girl.

Wouldn't normally post in an Animee thread, but I shall to wish you a Happy New years, Lettow I trust life with your fair lady in Japan is sublime.   :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Lettow77

Thanks! Happy new year to you too. Life is placid and excellent. I should have a son in a couple of weeks.

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
Thanks! Happy new year to you too. Life is placid and excellent. I should have a son in a couple of weeks.

Now That is really cool.   :)

Have a good year Lettow.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2014, 11:36:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2014, 11:03:58 PM
I you like tragic love stories watch Basilisk

Looks like my kind of anime.  Thanks :hug:
Did you ever watch this?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2016, 10:40:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 23, 2014, 11:36:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2014, 11:03:58 PM
I you like tragic love stories watch Basilisk

Looks like my kind of anime.  Thanks :hug:
Did you ever watch this?

It is on my to-do list.  I fully intend to watch it, but there are like a hundred shows sitting on that list.  Its turn will come, just not any time soon  :lol:

Jacob

Quote from: Lettow77 on January 02, 2016, 09:09:02 PM

Congratulations :cheers:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on January 08, 2016, 07:26:36 PM
It is on my to-do list.  I fully intend to watch it, but there are like a hundred shows sitting on that list.  Its turn will come, just not any time soon  :lol:

Watch Game of Thrones already.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?