News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Btw, post Gundam 00, any good Mecha (especially Gundam) series?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2015, 09:57:31 AM
Btw, post Gundam 00, any good Mecha (especially Gundam) series?

Gundam UC is fantastic, both the story and visuals are excellent.  Probably the most beautiful gundam show I have seen, in terms of animation quality.  Also really nice to see some of the original UC characters in action. 

I am currently watching Gundam G Reconquista.  Simply put, worst gundam show that I have ever watched (18 episodes in, the rest has yet to be aired). 

Gundam Age (which I have not seen) gets mixed reviews, from what I have read. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2015, 09:57:01 AM
are all Asians crazy or is it just the Japanese? :P

Well, judging from this thread/forum one could also conclude Israelis are crazy. And Chinese. And Americans that live in Korea.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2015, 07:06:04 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2015, 09:57:01 AM
are all Asians crazy or is it just the Japanese? :P

Well, judging from this thread/forum one could also conclude Israelis are crazy. And Chinese. And Americans that live in Korea.
it was about the funding project, not one particular poster :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Death Note. Most people here have probably seen it already, as it is one of the most well known anime shows around the world.  Gods of death exist in this world, and one of them is bored enough to drop a Death Note in the human world.  The notebook enables the owner to magically kill anyone by writing down the victim's name.  The deaths appear as a result of heart attacks, unless otherwise specified in the notebook.  To avoid killing people with the same names, the writer must have a mental picture of the victim's face as well.  Light, the protagonist, has decided to create a better world by eliminating all criminals.  L, an eccentric detective working with the police, is determined to solve the mystery. 

A large number of people consider this an all time classic that deserves a place in any anime hall of fame.  Having watched the show, I now happily join them in agreement.  It is rare to find such an outstanding story and execution in the same place.  The central plot of the series, the cat and mouse game between Light and L, starts in episode 2, which is a lot sooner than I expected.  The anime wastes very little time, and successfully keeps the viewers on edge by constantly coming up with plot developments that matter.  The story is seen from the view point of the villain, Light.  While he is undoubtedly an evil mass murderer, it is not difficult to see why there are a lot of Light fans around the world, because he generally confines himself to killing criminals and police who go after him.  There are a lot of battles of wits in anime, but the one between Light and L is the best one that I have seen, because it really is quite clever.  Light can only kill L if he knows L's real name and face.  L faces a mountain of bodies that died by heart attacks and understandably does not know the existance of Death Notes. 

One of the most common complaints about the show is the second arc about Mello and Near.  I think the arc is great, it just isn't as great as the first arc, because the first one is so phenomenal that it is a very tough act to follow.  Sort of like since the first arc feels like it deserves an 11/10, the second one is merely 9.5/10.  I also feel that the ending is fantastically done.  My only real complaint about the show is that, while the storyboarding is top-notch and captures the soul of the story well, the detailed animation isn't that great. 

I have to rethink my top 10 after watching this.  More like my top 3. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2015, 10:51:50 PM
Death Note. Most people here have probably seen it already,

Care to make a wager?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 09, 2015, 11:17:16 PM

Care to make a wager?

Ok, most regular anime watchers here  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2014, 08:25:28 PM
Black Lagoon

A classic tale of organized crime, piracy and foul mouthed homicidal crazy women set in Thailand in the early 90s.

Rock, a young Monoesque salary-man is kidnapped. His corporation sends mercenaries to kill him and everyone involved because he has information on their sale of nuclear secrets to a rouge state. His quick thinking allows them to turn the table on the pursers and come out victorious. At the end, even though he has a chance to go back to his company and old life, he turns his back on the society that betrayed him and decides to stay with the Black Lagoon company. 

I have finally begun to work on this.  It really striked a chord when the Japanese employer told a kidnapped Rock over the phone not to worry, because they'll give him a posthumous promotion, and invite all the board directors to attend his funeral.  That I think is a lot more than what my employer would do if I am kidnapped by pirates  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2015, 11:29:21 PM
That I think is a lot more than what my employer would do if I am kidnapped by pirates  :lol:

They'd sink the pirate ship.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2015, 01:10:35 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2015, 11:18:45 PM

Care to make a wager?

Wanna bet?

Really?  I thought I must be the last one to watch Death Note here, given how popular it is. 

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 10, 2015, 01:46:10 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on February 10, 2015, 01:10:35 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2015, 11:18:45 PM

Care to make a wager?

Wanna bet?

Really?  I thought I must be the last one to watch Death Note here, given how popular it is.

Really; I have about as much interest in watching Death Note as I do in watching Akame ga Kill.

Since I consider the latter the biggest waste of space of a Manga I've ever seen (and it has some pretty stiff competition for that title) I don't think I need to elaborate any further.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

It really is pretty good.
Even several non anime fan friends have watched it for some reason, and liked it
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2015, 04:45:50 PM
It really is pretty good.
Even several non anime fan friends have watched it for some reason, and liked it

It is a great gateway anime, I think.  The characters are mostly adults.  It is a serious show with no fanservice.  It doesn't come with a lot of the typical anime tropes, like characters with odd hair colours, oblivious nice guy wimpy male protagonist surrounded by cute girls, school drama  etc.  Most importantly, the pace picks up very quickly.  You don't have to watch 10+ episodes to get the main plot.  It starts in episode 2. 

There is a movie version with real actors, and I think I may try it when I have time.

Josquius

I watched the movies before the anime.
They were pretty good. They have a different plot too.
██████
██████
██████