News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong as I Expected.  Often shortened to "Oregairu".  The male protagonist (centre) is a cynical high school student who prefers to stay alone most of the time.  His teacher forced him to join the Service Club headed by Yukino, a bright student who also likes to be alone, to help develop his interpersonal skills.  They are joined by Yui (right), an ordinary and energetic classmate. 

The title and poster are once again misleading.  This is not a romantic comedy or a harem.  The real focus is on the interpersonal relationships, psychology, motivations and politics of students.  Through this setting, the writer of the source novel makes many keen observations about human relationships and why people behave in a certain way.  The Service Club's task is to provide help to whoever asks for it.  One scenario had them help a kid who is boycotted by the rest of her classmates to reintegrate.  Another case is where rumours are being spead in the class about a group of four friends, and the protagonists must figure out who did it and why. 

I think this is a nice break from seeing the usual themes of helping your nakama, self-sacrifice and willpower trumps everything in anime.  It is much more grounded in reality, and everything that happens in the anime are well within the realm of possibility.  I am an introverted loner myself during school, and I think the writer did a very good job about capturing the anti-social aspects of the characters in a bluntly realistic way.  The characters' views on people are harsh but to the point, and they give us a refreshing perspective of the rejected.  The show isn't dark, and the characters don't really go through any "break the cuties" process.  The show does it job with humour and deadpan. 

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 21, 2015, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 05:23:00 PM
2) 16 year old military commanders, because older commanders are stupid

Like your sock puppet?

Your little brother is not my suck puppet.
I told you already.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Man, all those high school shows seem so ridiculous to me.
I mean, the sole reason for anime if that you can do sci-fi or fantasy without the special effects bill sinking your show.
I don't get the real life shows. Why not do it with real life actors...?

I think anime should recognize the market of elder people that grew up with Lupin III, Pero (puss in boots), or Horus prince of the sun. Adult story telling with complex believable characters.

Oh, Phoenix 2772. One of the greatest. I was so in love with that robot girl.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on January 29, 2015, 10:35:48 AM
because it's a lot cheaper for smaller markets?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Man, all those high school shows seem so ridiculous to me.
I mean, the sole reason for anime if that you can do sci-fi or fantasy without the special effects bill sinking your show.

I've seen several real life adaptations of anime.  They tend to suck, because anime is fringe entertainment, and the film studios are not willing to put in the kind of money that make them work.  Also, a lot of the source material for anime are written with anime adaptations in mind, not real life actors.  Say, a show with five female heroines, each with pink, yellow, blue, red and black hair looks fine in anime format.  When you do it with real life actors and wigs, the result looks very odd. 

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 02:16:19 AM
It was like ten years ago, so I can't point to specifics, and I take it back a little: SEED wasn't great, but not outrageously terrible.  It was SEED Destiny I was thinking of: I wanted to punch Shin Asuka in the face every frame of the show.  And I must've watched like 30 episodes of it before giving up, insofar as I was a pretty big Gundam fan.
Both shows were great.  Shin Asuka was a great character for what he was supposed to be: a frustrated teenager filled with hormones and anger.  A more extreme version of most male teenagers out there ;)
I suspect most who did not like the show simply saw themselves reflected, partly, in Shin, and they hated it :)

Otherwise, I prefer Gundam Seed & Destiny to 00 because of only one thing: in 00, it seems they always come with this hidden Deus Ex Machina power that will let them overcome everything, like that secret mode where gundams sorta unlock themselves in more powerful versions, and then the Trans-am mode wich was just stupid.  You're in a life and death situation, you're almost broken but you don't use your trans-am mode until much later?  C'mon.  At least in Seed&Destiny they had newer Gundams to give the pilots more power, not just some hidden mode "oh, what's this button... woah!  awesome!".  Silly.

But aside that storywise, it's a great show, just as the Gundam Wing is it inspired from.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on January 29, 2015, 05:08:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 02:16:19 AM
It was like ten years ago, so I can't point to specifics, and I take it back a little: SEED wasn't great, but not outrageously terrible.  It was SEED Destiny I was thinking of: I wanted to punch Shin Asuka in the face every frame of the show.  And I must've watched like 30 episodes of it before giving up, insofar as I was a pretty big Gundam fan.
Both shows were great.  Shin Asuka was a great character for what he was supposed to be: a frustrated teenager filled with hormones and anger.  A more extreme version of most male teenagers out there ;)
I suspect most who did not like the show simply saw themselves reflected, partly, in Shin, and they hated it :)

Otherwise, I prefer Gundam Seed & Destiny to 00 because of only one thing: in 00, it seems they always come with this hidden Deus Ex Machina power that will let them overcome everything, like that secret mode where gundams sorta unlock themselves in more powerful versions, and then the Trans-am mode wich was just stupid.  You're in a life and death situation, you're almost broken but you don't use your trans-am mode until much later?  C'mon.  At least in Seed&Destiny they had newer Gundams to give the pilots more power, not just some hidden mode "oh, what's this button... woah!  awesome!".  Silly.

But aside that storywise, it's a great show, just as the Gundam Wing is it inspired from.

I love SEED, but somehow SEED destiny just isn't as good.  There is a lack of focus.  They retained most of the characters from SEED, then added a full ship's worth of pilots and crew to the show.  Far too many characters to focus on, and this is most apparent in Shin.  For the supposed lead guy in a gundam show, he didn't get much screen time or character development.  I know that falling in love with a female new type enemy pilot is a gundam staple from the very first gundam, but come on I've seen that far too many times already. 

Agelastus

I own SEED and SEED Destiny on DVD. SEED I really enjoyed; SEED Destiny I've never worked up the enthusiasm to watch after reading too much about it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Siege

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on February 01, 2015, 02:24:50 PM
Seed or Apleseed?

Pretty sure he meant Gundam Seed, since he also mentioned Destiny, the sequel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_SEED

11B4V

Oh, Phoenix 2772. One of the greatest. I was so in love with that robot girl.

You're man card should be pulled and you, sent to the battalion mailroom.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

https://readyfor.jp/projects/evangelion

This is Japan's version of kickstarter, and somebody has started a fundraising campaign to attach the Lance of Longinus to the (real) moon.  The objective is to raise $100 million yen (US$850,000), and so far they have reached around 32%. 

The spear appeared in the famed Evangelion series, where the protagonists threw the spear at invading "angels", and it ended up on the moon. 

viper37

are all Asians crazy or is it just the Japanese? :P