News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

00 had the benefit of not sucking nearly as hard as Gundam SEED (lol) and its sequel, which are still some of the most terrible cartoons I ever watched.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 02:06:36 AM
00 had the benefit of not sucking nearly as hard as Gundam SEED and its sequel (lol), which is still one of the most terrible cartoons I ever watched.

I like Gundam Seed.  The sequel is a little weak, I agree.  What is your complaint about Gundam Seed?   :)

Ideologue

It was like ten years ago, so I can't point to specifics, and I take it back a little: SEED wasn't great, but not outrageously terrible.  It was SEED Destiny I was thinking of: I wanted to punch Shin Asuka in the face every frame of the show.  And I must've watched like 30 episodes of it before giving up, insofar as I was a pretty big Gundam fan.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2015, 02:16:19 AM
It was like ten years ago, so I can't point to specifics, and I take it back a little: SEED wasn't great, but not outrageously terrible.  It was SEED Destiny I was thinking of: I wanted to punch Shin Asuka in the face every frame of the show.  And I must've watched like 30 episodes of it before giving up, insofar as I was a pretty big Gundam fan.

My chief complaint about Seed is that the first half felt like a remake of the original 0079 gundam, with updated graphics and new characters.  Otherwise, the story is suspiciously similar to the earlier gundam.  The show became much better when it took a different and unexpected turn halfway through. 

I hear what you are saying about Shin.  The story gradually shifted to a Kira Yamato point of view, and indeed in the last few episodes, Kira's name appeared before Shin's on the credit list. 

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Monoriu

There seems a trend for Japanese light novels to have increasingly long titles.  The latest novel to receive an anime adaptation is titled:

"Concerning the matter that I have been kidnapped to an aristocratic all-girls school to serve as a 'pleb sample'".

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 20, 2015, 07:23:02 PM
There seems a trend for Japanese light novels to have increasingly long titles.  The latest novel to receive an anime adaptation is titled:

"Concerning the matter that I have been kidnapped to an aristocratic all-girls school to serve as a 'pleb sample'".

If that's what I think it is the Manga's not bad, lightweight but quite funny; I'll probably check out the series.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on January 21, 2015, 09:46:04 AM

If that's what I think it is the Manga's not bad, lightweight but quite funny; I'll probably check out the series.

I am usually not interested in these shows, but I am fascinated by the "pleb sample" concept. 

Siege

Quote from: Monoriu on December 30, 2014, 11:06:33 PM

Aldnoah Zero Part 2.  The serious mecha show about a war between Earth and Mars, where human colonisers found advanced alien technology decades ago.  There are supposed to be 3 main characters, and the poster above deliberately only showed one of them.  This is because season 1 ended in a cliffhanger where the other 2 apparently died. 

This one sounds interesting.
Is it a kid show or can i watch it?

Anime conventions which I extremely dislike:

1) The angriest character wins the fight
2) 16 year old military commanders, because older commanders are stupid
3) Indisciplined, untrained kids win over seasoned, disciplined soldiers.
4) Some superweapon defeats the countless numbers of the enemy

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 05:23:00 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 30, 2014, 11:06:33 PM

Aldnoah Zero Part 2.  The serious mecha show about a war between Earth and Mars, where human colonisers found advanced alien technology decades ago.  There are supposed to be 3 main characters, and the poster above deliberately only showed one of them.  This is because season 1 ended in a cliffhanger where the other 2 apparently died. 

This one sounds interesting.
Is it a kid show or can i watch it?

Anime conventions which I extremely dislike:

1) The angriest character wins the fight
3) Indisciplined, untrained kids win over seasoned, disciplined soldiers.
4) Some superweapon defeats the countless numbers of the enemy

I personally love it and recommend it to all anime lovers.  It is a serious show, certainly not intended for kids, and I expect no less when Gen "Urobutcher" Urobutchi is involved.  He is one of the most well-known anime script writers now, as he is behind blockbusters Fate Zero, Psycho Pass and Madoka Magica.  Simply put, it is the anime version of War of the Worlds.  I can't say if it fulfills your requirements, because it is ongoing and anime-original, meaning it isn't adapted from existing material.  So nobody knows where the show will go. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 05:23:00 PM

Like your sock puppet?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

School Days.  Makoto Itou (centre) is an ordinary high school student who has a crush on Kotohana Katsura (left), a beautiful girl from a rich family.  Sekai Saionji (right) goes out of her way to help Makoto and Kotohana get together, but has feelings for Makoto herself.  A love triangle soon develops. 

Despite the premise, this is not a romantic comedy or an innocent harem story.  It is an infamous series known for its darker take on the familiar anime setting.  Usually, in the majority of anime shows, the male protagonist is a fundamentally nice person and is a chaste hero.  He is either oblivious to the fact that all the girls are falling for him, or he tries his best to be nice to everybody.  The struggles among the female members of the harem are played for laughs or glanced over.  School Days asks the obvious questions, what if he behaves more like a random teenage male in real life?  What if he actually has sexual desires and is not above taking advantage of the girls?  How do the girls really feel about the situation?  In real life, the guy will not be oblivious, he will not say no when the girls throw themselves at him, and he maybe clueless about how to resolve a love triangle situation.  And the girls will not simply engage each other in innocent cooking contests.  All the friends and classmates of those involved will not stand idly by without at least saying something or spreading rumours.  This is where School Days shines - it points out that the cliched anime romantic comedies, harems or love triangles are not funny if they happen in real life.  There are consequences and real impact on people's psyche and lifes. 

I must also say that I have very mixed feelings about this anime.  To me, the quality of the show decreases considerably toward the end as it does not seem to take itself seriously by then.  It is one thing to explore the dark side of love triangles.  It is another for a harem to just pop up for no apparent reason or development.  The actions of the characters border on the absurd in the second half, and the "they are clueless teenagers" excuse that worked in the first half of the show failed to suspend disbelief toward the end.  The low production values, poor quality of the animation where mistakes are blatent and frequent, and the unnecessary panty shots and mild nudity don't help. 

It is an anime that is painful to watch for all sorts of reasons.   The suffering of the cast is heart-wrenching and impactful, but I am also let down by how the show failed to live up to its potential.  Still, it is one of a kind and it does have a valid point to make. 

Monoriu

They have changed the name of the anime.  The word "kidnapped" has been replaced by two red heart symbols.  Apparently they want to avoid using the word due to the recent kidnappings of two Japanese by ISIS. 

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 27, 2015, 09:38:25 PM

School Days.  Makoto Itou (centre) is an ordinary high school student who has a crush on Kotohana Katsura (left), a beautiful girl from a rich family.  Sekai Saionji (right) goes out of her way to help Makoto and Kotohana get together, but has feelings for Makoto herself.  A love triangle soon develops. 

Despite the premise, this is not a romantic comedy or an innocent harem story.  It is an infamous series known for its darker take on the familiar anime setting.  Usually, in the majority of anime shows, the male protagonist is a fundamentally nice person and is a chaste hero.  He is either oblivious to the fact that all the girls are falling for him, or he tries his best to be nice to everybody.  The struggles among the female members of the harem are played for laughs or glanced over.  School Days asks the obvious questions, what if he behaves more like a random teenage male in real life?  What if he actually has sexual desires and is not above taking advantage of the girls?  How do the girls really feel about the situation?  In real life, the guy will not be oblivious, he will not say no when the girls throw themselves at him, and he maybe clueless about how to resolve a love triangle situation.  And the girls will not simply engage each other in innocent cooking contests.  All the friends and classmates of those involved will not stand idly by without at least saying something or spreading rumours.  This is where School Days shines - it points out that the cliched anime romantic comedies, harems or love triangles are not funny if they happen in real life.  There are consequences and real impact on people's psyche and lifes. 

I must also say that I have very mixed feelings about this anime.  To me, the quality of the show decreases considerably toward the end as it does not seem to take itself seriously by then.  It is one thing to explore the dark side of love triangles.  It is another for a harem to just pop up for no apparent reason or development.  The actions of the characters border on the absurd in the second half, and the "they are clueless teenagers" excuse that worked in the first half of the show failed to suspend disbelief toward the end.  The low production values, poor quality of the animation where mistakes are blatent and frequent, and the unnecessary panty shots and mild nudity don't help. 

It is an anime that is painful to watch for all sorts of reasons.   The suffering of the cast is heart-wrenching and impactful, but I am also let down by how the show failed to live up to its potential.  Still, it is one of a kind and it does have a valid point to make.

"Nice boat".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."