News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

That's been in development hell/the aether for 15 years...
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

She won't do the nudity I bet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

I have yet to see a live adaptation of an anime that I am happy with.  I hope they prove me wrong.

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 08:35:10 PM
??
CDM is expressing his disaproval that a beautiful women like Scarlett Johansson is doing anime stuff.  He could go with Her, but this, this is just too much for him :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on October 22, 2014, 02:20:15 PM
??
CDM is expressing his disaproval that a beautiful women like Scarlett Johansson is doing anime stuff.  He could go with Her, but this, this is just too much for him :P

What's the difference between a comic adaptation like Batman or Superman, and an anime adaptation?   :P

CountDeMoney

??

:lol: :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2014, 05:06:35 PM
What's the difference between a comic adaptation like Batman or Superman, and an anime adaptation?   :P

Taste, mainly.  Creepy ass cartoon crackers.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2014, 08:37:13 PM

Taste, mainly.  Creepy ass cartoon crackers.

Have you seen the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie?  It is awesome.  The makers of the Matrix movies said the anime movie helped inspire the series. 

Agelastus

??

I suppose it's a question of whether or not you prefer adaptations based on a genre that fetishes outsized abs rather than one that fetishes outsized eyes. :hmm:

Although I don't think the comparison is apt here; Ghost in the Shell is much more closely related to cyberpunk and William Gibson than anime (as a genre) itself. And I don't think CdM would mind Scarlett Johanssen starring in a William Gibson adaptation.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on October 23, 2014, 04:56:04 AM
I suppose it's a question of whether or not you prefer adaptations based on a genre that fetishes outsized abs rather than one that fetishes outsized eyes. :hmm:

More whether you enjoy works about crime vs teenage relationship drama. And before you cry that not all anime is like that, go back and read some of Mono's plot descriptions.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2014, 05:10:45 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 23, 2014, 04:56:04 AM

More whether you enjoy works about crime vs teenage relationship drama. And before you cry that not all anime is like that, go back and read some of Mono's plot descriptions.  :P

Mono writes a lot of plot descriptions. Mostly for anime that I don't watch.

There's 20 or 30 new series every 3 months. Mono writes plot descriptions of 3-5 of them. And since he writes to his own tastes he's not a balanced descriptor of what genres are covered each season.

For example, he loves Key shows (which fits your trope of teenage relationship drama perfectly.) I've never watched any of them and only have a remote interest in one (and that's because the key conceit of the series involves time travel.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."