jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on August 25, 2014, 11:48:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2014, 11:39:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 10:46:39 PM
LOL, Speed Racer
Kimba the White Lion
Marine Boy
Star Blazers

And I saw both Akira and Ghost in the Shell in artsy fartsy theaters when they first came out, because I am that fucking proto-hip, baby.
You would love Cowboy Beebop then.

This seems to be the anime that everybody but me has watched.  I'm going to have to do it when I have time.
By the way, if you watch this, you should watch this in English. The American cast is unbelievably good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 08, 2014, 01:56:08 AM
By the way, if you watch this, you should watch this in English. The American cast is unbelievably good.

Thanks for the tip, but I am a huge fan of Megumi Hayashibara.  Besides, it is actually quite difficult for me to get the English dubbed version  :)

Razgovory

I know I'm well known as person who does not care for anime, but I did find one I liked.  Actually I saw it as a kid and I liked it, and found out later that it was anime from the 1980's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimm%27s_Fairy_Tale_Classics

They were all in English when I saw them.  I didn't know they were made in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sx9pun305Q  This was my favorite one.  I watched when I was 9 or so.  Puss and Boots is still my favorite fairly tale.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Yeah, the first few years when I watched anime, I didn't realise they were all made in Japan.  Those were the times when the TV networks still bothered to make "Chinese versions" of the anime, i.e. giving all the characters Chinese names, writing Chinese lyrics of the opening songs and finding local singers to perform the songs, removing all the Japanese text and signages, editing out the credits etc.  Still couldn't hide the fact that the characters referred to Japan (and no where else) all the time. 

Syt

I had three favorite Animes as a kid (of course, at the time no one knew what an anime was):

Oddly enough, all three were adaptations of Western literature.

At the time, dubbing would be very liberal, and even the soundtrack would often be replaced, most notably in the case of Captain Future - the German soundtrack still has a large cult following (a rock/synth/funk mix: E.g. The show's music for action scenes..

In my teens I watched Saber Rider. Again, it was very liberally dubbed; in fact a large portion appears to have been ad libbed, which made it a rather irreverent show to watch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

I saw the Adventure of Nils when I was a kid.  Loved it. 

Syt

I even had a drinking glass with him and the geese on it. -_-

Mustard would often come in glasses that could be used for drinks later - they would often print stuff for kids on them; I think I had one of those on the right):

Apparently, this is still a thing:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

Nils is on the Swedish $20 banknote. 

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 08, 2014, 01:37:21 AM
THe 2006 show was not the most popular adaptation, with subpar animation.  UFO Table, the guys behind Fate Zero, the popular prequel, will do the adaptation this time.  I have seen the 48 minute prologue.  Looks really good so far.  The reputation of UFO Table being able to produce some of the best animation in the industry is well-earned.

I'm a little conflicted by this. Much of it is indeed an improvement. Archer in particular has a slightly improved character design (it is now no longer impossible to believe he is who he really is due to scaling and facial issues.)

Rin however...what were they thinking. When she's not looking wierd she's just plain ugly. Even for Japanese anime she looks more alien than human. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on October 12, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 08, 2014, 01:37:21 AM
THe 2006 show was not the most popular adaptation, with subpar animation.  UFO Table, the guys behind Fate Zero, the popular prequel, will do the adaptation this time.  I have seen the 48 minute prologue.  Looks really good so far.  The reputation of UFO Table being able to produce some of the best animation in the industry is well-earned.

I'm a little conflicted by this. Much of it is indeed an improvement. Archer in particular has a slightly improved character design (it is now no longer impossible to believe he is who he really is due to scaling and facial issues.)

Rin however...what were they thinking. When she's not looking wierd she's just plain ugly. Even for Japanese anime she looks more alien than human. :(

I agree Rin's face takes some getting used to, but that doesn't bother me too much.  What I really want to say is, I just saw the first proper episode, and the fight scenes are gorgeous.  I am hard pressed to think of something that looks better in TV anime (of course, movies are better).  The episode, despite being 48 minutes long and that I already know the plot, is very entertaining throughout. 

Agelastus

I've seen the first proper episode myself, now, and I agree it looks gorgeous.

But again, I found something that didn't impress me, in this case the portrayal of Gae Bolg's reversal of causality effect. I actually think less flash and more of a "huh?!" would have worked better there.

Is there any word on which ending they're going to use? "True", "Good" or something more original?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Syt

Knights of Sidonia is on Netflix. It's subbed, which is fine. Unfortunately, the plentiful written signs are not translated (which I'm used to from many fan translations).

It's seriously distracting, which is a shame, because the art style is gorgeous.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 13, 2014, 08:07:04 AM
Knights of Sidonia is on Netflix. It's subbed, which is fine. Unfortunately, the plentiful written signs are not translated (which I'm used to from many fan translations).

It's seriously distracting, which is a shame, because the art style is gorgeous.

I've heard many good things said about Knights of Sidonia.  It is on my long-term to do list.

Monoriu

Quote from: Agelastus on October 13, 2014, 07:58:10 AM

Is there any word on which ending they're going to use? "True", "Good" or something more original?

No clue. 

Siege

The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Very original, very interesting, couldn't watch anything else until I finished it.
Somewhat similar to Eden of the East, but with superpowers.

Not as good as Knights of Sidonia, though.

And I got Samurai Flamenco as next in my list.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"