News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Presumably, if he'd been wearing a Bart Simpson hat, he'd have been invited in for a beer.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Gurren Lagann: 24 minutes a pop of non-stop screaming. It's an assault on the senses. Ejecting.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2014, 09:06:20 PM
Gurren Lagann: 24 minutes a pop of non-stop screaming. It's an assault on the senses. Ejecting.

Yeah, it is one of the most hot blooded shows in existance.  Try Code Geass for a less hot blooded mecha show.  It is also my top 10 and one of the most popular animes.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

Non Non Biyori >>>>>>>>>>>>>> K-On >>>>>>>>>> Beck

Beck gets the nod for best engrish, but that's all i've got.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Josquius

Best music, best animation, least 'I want to drink bleach to make it stop' story, etc...
I gave K-On a go but just couldn't get past two episodes.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2014, 03:57:07 PM
least 'I want to drink bleach to make it stop' story,

That is indeed a vital metric when it comes to anime.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

K-On! is so overwhelmingly obviously not for you Tyr; the people who appear in it are happy and content, while the main goal of each episode is to promote happiness and contentment in the viewers.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on September 14, 2014, 07:32:25 PM
K-On! is so overwhelmingly obviously not for you Tyr; the people who appear in it are happy and content, while the main goal of each episode is to promote happiness and contentment in the viewers.
How can there be happiness in a world where men don't exist?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2014, 03:57:07 PM
Best music, best animation, least 'I want to drink bleach to make it stop' story, etc...
I gave K-On a go but just couldn't get past two episodes.

K-On is episodic, with no major story arcs.  There is no "turning point" in the show.  So if you don't like what you see in the first two episodes, there probably is no point going on.   

CountDeMoney

Neil

I wonder if Disney ever paid those guys.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Nobunaga Concerto.  Yet another time travelling story about a high school student who travels back in time to the Sengoku period and become Oda Nobunaga. 

My first impression of the show is not good.  The setting and story has been done to death.  The animation is an epic fail.  Obviously the producers are using some sort of new technology.  I don't know what that is, but the net result is very static and weird looking character facial expressions.  There is no opening song, and very few battle scenes. 

But as the show goes on, I found myself enjoying it.  It takes the familiar story of Oda Nobunaga's rise and adds new twists along the way.  In a nutshell, it provides alternative and novel explanations that still fit history.  In almost every Nobunaga story, he is introduced as a rebellious youth who didn't care about traditions and norms.  The turning point was when he met his father-in-law - he dressed up as a proper daimyo, made an impression and gained an important ally.  That's how the story should go.  In the anime, the show made a point of showing that Nobunaga lost his formal daimyo outfit.  So he went to see his father-in-law in his modern Japan school uniform.  The guy's reaction?  [spoiler]He asked everyone to leave the room.  The next shot is the father-in-law appearing in his modern Japan police uniform.  They still ended up as allies but the process was different. [/spoiler]  Another twist is that the real Nobunaga is still around, so there are two Nobunagas who look exactly alike.  This is what the "Concerto" refers to. 

This is actually quite an enjoyable show, but is obviously intended for people who are familiar with the Sengoku setting.  That, and only if you can look past the subpar animation.