News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

;)

It was directed by Isao Takahata rather than  Hayao Miyazaki; so it probably didn't receive as much fanfare upon release.  I recommend it for the animation; but the story isn't one of the better ones from Studio Ghibli.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2017, 09:22:47 AM
;)

It was directed by Isao Takahata rather than  Hayao Miyazaki; so it probably didn't receive as much fanfare upon release.  I recommend it for the animation; but the story isn't one of the better ones from Studio Ghibli.

There was no broadband internet for me back then.  News and shows were more difficult to come by.  I had other things to do at that stage in my life. 

Malthus

Just for fun, I did this episode poster for an art contest for fan-made posters for The Battle for Mewni, a TV movie in the series "Star vs. the Forces of Evil".

It depicts the heroine's mother (in a flashback) casting a spell to destroy her enemy, who had killed her mother and was apparently invincible--something that required her to learn, and use, some forbidden dark magic (with all sorts of bad implications, some of which she realized while casting it).

The spell went:

I call the darkness unto me
From deepest depths of earth and sea
From ancient evils unawoken
Break the one who can't be broken
To darkest night I pledge my soul
And crush my heart to burning coal
To summon forth a deathly power
To see my hated foe devoured 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on July 26, 2017, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2017, 09:22:47 AM
;)

There was no broadband internet for me back then.  News and shows were more difficult to come by.  I had other things to do at that stage in my life.

Right now I'm in the middle of reading Cardinal Newman's (:pope:) "Apologia Pro Vita Sua" (explanation for his life.)  Today I've found Mono's explanation for having had a life, (Apologia Pro Vitam Habuerat.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2017, 09:43:37 AM
Just for fun, I did this episode poster for an art contest for fan-made posters for The Battle for Mewni, a TV movie in the series "Star vs. the Forces of Evil".

That's really good, Malthus.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2017, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2017, 09:43:37 AM

That's really good, Malthus.

Thanks!

It was fun, but very time consuming, to draw.

I'm really loving the gold leaf paint marker (the cell phone pic doesn't do that colour justice). It's a joy to use.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Malt, can you do a artistic tasteful hardcore scene of Rainbow Dash raping Pinkie Pie?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2017, 08:46:30 PM
Malt, can you do a artistic tasteful hardcore scene of Rainbow Dash raping Pinkie Pie?

Can I? Probably. Though I don't know these particular characters.

Will I? Probably not.  :D

Ed Anger

:lol:

I will find a staving artist somewhere to paint my pony rape mural that I've always wanted.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Tales form Earthsea (2006)

Thus far I think this is the weakest Studio Ghibli movie that I've seen.  The animation lacks the genius of Isao Takahata or Hayao Miyazaki (it was done by Hayao's son Goro Miyazaki).  The plot seems to be more of a rehash of a Hayao Miyazaki fantasy film set in the Earthsea world.  (Ursula K. Le Guin complained that the characters had the same name as her creations, but had nothing else in common with them.)

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on August 02, 2017, 12:51:03 PM
Tales form Earthsea (2006)

Thus far I think this is the weakest Studio Ghibli movie that I've seen.  The animation lacks the genius of Isao Takahata or Hayao Miyazaki (it was done by Hayao's son Goro Miyazaki).  The plot seems to be more of a rehash of a Hayao Miyazaki fantasy film set in the Earthsea world.  (Ursula K. Le Guin complained that the characters had the same name as her creations, but had nothing else in common with them.)

I haven't seen it.  Like you said, the reviews aren't that good.  I do like the soundtrack though.  I think the real successor to Miyazaki isn't his son, but Shinkai Makoto of Your Name. 

Savonarola

Spirited Away (2001)

Like Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, only it's kind of weird.

;)

Hayao Miyazaki's follow up to Princess Mononoke.  The story really stands out as a coming of age story, as the protagonist matures throughout the film.  The animation is great, (first Studio Ghibli film to use CGI), but really all the fantastic creatures in the bath house seem like a distraction.  The strength of the film is its story.

Monoriu

My favourite character is the coal spirits  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on August 10, 2017, 02:01:32 PM
My favourite character is the coal spirits  :P

I'm not surprised.   

;)

Savonarola

The Cat Returns (2002)

Nowhere near as sophisticated as "Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited Away" (or even "Whispers of the Heart" from which the some of the characters were derived); still it's a fun little fantasy film.  This one might appeal to young children more than the standard Studio Ghibli films.  The story is about a young lady who saves a cat; who happens to be the crown prince of all the cats.  She's then kidnapped to the kingdom of the cats to become the cat prince's bride.  Hilarity ensues.

The problem with the story is the "Coming of age" aspect of it; isn't very well developed, but it's supposed to be the point of the film.  Admittedly Studio Ghibli has set the bar very high in this regard.  If it had been released by, say, (non-Pixar) Disney I might not have noticed it as much.