And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on June 04, 2017, 02:05:03 AM
Attack on Titan s2 makes me sad.

Well, I am sad too, in the sense that there are only two episodes left, and I doubt if they can even complete this arc.  I hope it will be a split cour and we'll get more episodes toward the end of the year. 

I am glad that this season produces intense action, gives some answers but raises even more questions. 

jimmy olsen

Holy Moly! Cowboy Beebop is likely the most acclaimed anime series among American fans, and I'm a huge fan. I can't wait to see this.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/cowboy-bebop-is-getting-an-american-live-action-tv-ser-1795849851

Cowboy Bebop Is Getting an American, Live-Action TV Series

Charles Pulliam-Moore
Yesterday 10:36am
· Filed to: Cowboy Bebop

You like bounty hunters? You like space? Take a seat, friend, because I've got some good news for you. A live action adaptation of Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop anime is in the works. Prepare yourself.

According to Deadline, Marty Adelstein's Tomorrow studios is partnering with Midnight radio to produce Cowboy Bebop for television with the blessing of Sunrise, the studio responsible for the original series. In a public statement, Adelstein expressed his excitement at developing the adaptation for American audiences.

"The animated version has long resonated with audiences worldwide," Adelstein said. "With the continued, ever growing, popularity of anime, we believe a live action version will have an incredible impact today."

In the original Cowboy Bebop series that ran for 26 episodes and concluded in 1999, humans have fled an uninhabitable Earth in favor of various colonized planet where groups of bounty hunters make a living tracking down rogue criminals. The series chronicles the adventures of the Bebop, a ship piloted by one Spike Spiegel (a con artist,) his partner Jet Black (a former police officer,) Faye Valentine (a con artist dealing with amnesia,) Ed Wong (a prodigy hacker,) and their dog Ein, a superhumanly intelligent corgi.

While Cowboy Bebop has some of the most gorgeous animation you'll ever see, it's the series' soundtrack that people most often bring up in their celebration of it. It'll make a jazz fan out of you.

No news about casting or production has been announced as of yet. For now, you'll have to spend your time debating whether or not this adaptation is actually a good idea (could be) and who you want to see as spike (Keanu, obviously.)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

I am not a huge fan of live action adaptations of anime.  There seems a trend to do these recently.  I don't know why. 

Duque de Bragança

Live action anime adaptations.  :x

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on June 04, 2017, 07:50:05 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 04, 2017, 02:05:03 AM
Attack on Titan s2 makes me sad.

Well, I am sad too, in the sense that there are only two episodes left, and I doubt if they can even complete this arc.  I hope it will be a split cour and we'll get more episodes toward the end of the year. 

I am glad that this season produces intense action, gives some answers but raises even more questions. 

The whole direction things are going in though....
Its stinks of typical manga bloat. I liked things so much better when humans controlling titans wasn't a big thing.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Shows that I am going to watch in the coming Summer 2017 season:

Fate/Apocrypha.  2017 is known as the year of "Fate", as this huge franchise spawns yet another spin-off.  Apparently the show takes place in a parallel world of Fate/Stay Night.  The concept of master/servant teams fighting each other for a Holy Grail will be retained, but otherwise there should be new characters and a new story.  Judging from the poster there is yet another Saber clone.   

Owarimonogatari Season 2.  The latest instalment in the Monogatari series, which uses distinctive art and lengthy dialogue to tell a tale of Japanese mythology and supernatural occurrences.

Princess Principal.  This anime-original show takes place in an alternate Britain that was divided into two.  Five school girls are involved in spying activities.  Normally I am not interested in this kind of show.  The only reason I am watching is because the music is done by my favourite composer, Yuki Kajiura. 

Made in Abyss.  Story takes place in a fantasy world where there is a huge hole in the ground leading to a giant dungeon.  The show is about the adventures of people who venture into the dungeon.  I don't know much about the story but I quite like the art style.  A "maybe", if I have time. 

Monoriu

Little Witch Academia.  A little bit like Harry Potter the animation.  This is a world where magic exists and is known to the population, but isn't very highly regarded or useful.  Mesmerised by show magician Shiny Chariot's performances, Akko decided to enrol in the witch academy to learn how to use magic.  The story is about the adventures of Akko and her friends. 

The show is done by people who did other famous anime shows like Kill la Kill and Tengan Toppa Gurren Laggan.  Before the TV show was aired, they actually did a Kickstarter project to make two short movies, and that fund raising effort exceeded all expectations.

The show is decent, but not great, and doesn't measure up to the standards set by the previous titles released by the same people.  This show feels like a toned down version of Harry Potter.  The overall plot isn't as dark or intense.  The side characters and the everyday adventures aspects are played up.  It is much better than the average show as the animation is good, the show is funny at times and above all, the message "let's do the fun stuff because they are fun" is consistently embraced and emphasized. 

It also feels like a children's show.  The pacing is problematic.  While the side characters are very interesting, their day in a limelight episodes don't really contribute to the overall plot.  Once their stories are told, they are relegated to background.  So the whole show has a strong filler feel to it, and the overall plot isn't very effective.  Compared to the 25-episode TV show, the two short movies are much more action-packed and intense.  There is no conflict or continuity issues between the two.  They take place in the same setting, with the same characters but can be watched independently. 

Duque de Bragança

I will be soon rewatching Captain Future in its entirety soon since the whole series is now available on blu-ray. Not exactly a great transfer like Lady Oscar, Cobra or Treasure Island but still better than the botched blu-ray release of the Mysterious Cities of Gold, a Franco-Japanese cartoon.
So far, Captain Future or Capitaine Flam for Viper and francophones, holds pretty well, except for the dub and overuse of the title song.

Savonarola

Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Unusual for a story written by Hayao Miyazaki (at least based on his Studio Ghibli work), in that it's set on earth and without any fantastic machinery, magic or monsters.  It's easy to see why this would appeal to Miyazaki; it's the coming of age story of a young writer who composes fantastic stories.  High point of the film is when she rewrites the song "Country Roads" so it's about Tokyo, "Concrete Roads."

Are children in Japan really supposed to pick their careers (or have their careers picked for them) by the end of Junior High? 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

I hear a Mono job lecture coming.......
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on July 11, 2017, 03:44:00 PM

Are children in Japan really supposed to pick their careers (or have their careers picked for them) by the end of Junior High?

Well, I don't how it really works in reality, but I have watched 20+ anime shows where high school students agonise about picking their careers toward graduation.  So this should be reasonably common.  My take is that this process helps the students prepare for their careers properly.  Sort of like, if you want to become an accountant, these are the prerequisites and courses that you need to do to prepare for your career. 

Savonarola

Castle in the Sky (1986)

The animation is a little primitive, by the standards of Hayao Miyazaki at least, but it's still a good story and the world with it's retro-futuristic air power is great.

Did they change the name of the castle in the Spanish Language release?  A film a man and an adolescent boy trying to get to Laputa seems like it would have some different connotations than it does in English.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on July 14, 2017, 11:06:10 AM
Castle in the Sky (1986)

The animation is a little primitive, by the standards of Hayao Miyazaki at least, but it's still a good story and the world with it's retro-futuristic air power is great.

Did they change the name of the castle in the Spanish Language release?  A film a man and an adolescent boy trying to get to Laputa seems like it would have some different connotations than it does in English.

Laputa was the first Miyazaki movie that I saw, and it is still my all time favourite.  The soundtrack is beloved in this corner of the world.  Restaurants here play the OST all the time. 

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on July 11, 2017, 03:44:00 PM
Whisper of the Heart (1995)

Unusual for a story written by Hayao Miyazaki (at least based on his Studio Ghibli work), in that it's set on earth and without any fantastic machinery, magic or monsters.  It's easy to see why this would appeal to Miyazaki; it's the coming of age story of a young writer who composes fantastic stories.  High point of the film is when she rewrites the song "Country Roads" so it's about Tokyo, "Concrete Roads."

It's the same everywhere in the world no?
By the time you're that age you should have a good idea of what you want to do.  Even if it's totally wrong and destined to be changed completely.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on July 16, 2017, 12:58:07 PM
It's the same everywhere in the world no?
By the time you're that age you should have a good idea of what you want to do.  Even if it's totally wrong and destined to be changed completely.

I didn't have a college major picked out until late in my senior year of high school.  I don't think that was unusual, at least not in those days.