News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

:lol:

Girls und Panzer at least has realistically drawn tanks.  The fleet one is even crazier and detached from reality.  Having watched both shows, I have to say Panzer is much better.  The battles are much more interesting.  It is great to see realistically drawn WWII tanks firing at each other.  Not so much when it is teenage girls shooting arrows at each other pretending to be an aircraft carrier duel. 

I may change my opinion after I have seen the Kancolle movie though  :P

Monoriu

BTW, I think that screenshot is about the Midway battle, not Pearl Harbour.  The red and blue ones are Akagi and Kaga.  The green and yellow ones are Siryu and Hiryu.  The other two are destroyers, not carriers. 

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

On the flip side, I really wish I had a girlfriend right about now.

Monoriu

That's the Kaga costume.  The amount of effort and money that cosplayers put into this kind of thing is no joke.  A lot of people make their own costume.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Do they shoot torpedoes out of their crotches?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2017, 04:14:39 PM
Do they shoot torpedoes out of their crotches?

:P No, they carry torpedo tubes around.  See 1:26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNk8OLKhL4

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 03:44:51 PM
Oh look, it's the strike against Pearl Harbor!

Who knew the Imperial Japanese Navy could be so effective in hobbling the American surface combat fleet by dressing up as teenaged schoolgirls that pee on businessmen?

I hate that anime. Can't remember the name of it.
Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a very similar but better anime. In that one at least they had the excuse that the girls were avatars of autonomous ships made by some inhuman force. They sat on actual ships.
This one though with girls as ships. Ugh. And it steals all the popularity so the decent one was cancelled. But that's life. Oh the amount of outright good anime they decided not to make more of...
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2017, 04:19:16 PM

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a very similar but better anime. In that one at least they had the excuse that the girls were avatars of autonomous ships made by some inhuman force. They sat on actual ships.
This one though with girls as ships. Ugh. And it steals all the popularity so the decent one was cancelled. But that's life. Oh the amount of outright good anime they decided not to make more of...

The name is Kancolle, short for Kantai Collection, or Fleet Collection.  It started as a web collectible card game.

Agelastus

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was a terrible adaptation of a very good Manga; even before the idiot "Kongo Death Star" finale.

The movie sequel (where they finally get around to featuring Yamato, the eminence grise of much of the manga who was non-existent in the television series) was as bad.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

CountDeMoney

I hate that anime.

I find it a surprisingly ingenious and completely sociopathic aspect of Japanese culture, where they actively conceal the cultural will to militarism under the aesthetic of cutesy-pie girlish anime. 
It's an active attempt to make the dangerous un-dangerous, as if they know that one embarrassingly dangerous pathology could be convincingly suppressed and masked by a lesser, more benign pathology.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
I hate that anime.

I find it a surprisingly ingenious and completely sociopathic aspect of Japanese culture, where they actively conceal the cultural will to militarism under the aesthetic of cutesy-pie girlish anime. 
It's an active attempt to make the dangerous un-dangerous, as if they know that one embarrassingly dangerous pathology could be convincingly suppressed and masked by a lesser, more benign pathology.

My theory is that they just make whatever makes money  :P  Anime in general is quite apolitical, though there are exceptions. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2017, 04:39:09 PM
My theory is that they just make whatever makes money  :P  Anime in general is quite apolitical, though there are exceptions.

True to a point:  after all, when middle-aged men are interested in the same shit as tween-aged boys, then yeah, there's a lot of money to be made in cheesecake cartoons. 

But let's not kid ourselves--the Japanese were not nearly as neutered as the Germans were in the post-war cleansing, fucking bushido is right under the surface. 

Maybe it's got something to do with not executing the Emperor, as opposed to massive amounts of therapeutic couch time with the inventors of modern psychology.

Ed Anger

My son likes Robotech. I may put him up for adoption.

:mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive