News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

We had Captain Future and some parts of World Masterpiece Theater (like Heidi) when I grew up.

Sailor Moon and later Dragonball brought the mainstream breakthrough; but first it was a popular niche genre for sci-fi/action fans. Some computer games magazines, e.g., started having manga corners. The influx of Japanese video games with SNES/Mega Drive at the time certainly helped, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2016, 10:29:57 AM
We had Captain Future and some parts of World Masterpiece Theater (like Heidi) when I grew up.

So not,  in the '90s, and different demographics were targeted.  :P

Sailor Moon and later Dragonball brought the mainstream breakthrough; but first it was a popular niche genre for sci-fi/action fans. Some computer games magazines, e.g., started having manga corners. The influx of Japanese video games with SNES/Mega Drive at the time certainly helped, too.

Sailor Moon a popular niche for sci-fi/action fans? Interesting. I can see Dragonball being a popular niche but Sailor Moon mostly feminised the anime audience. The SNES Sailor Moon videogame released in Europe, a not so good beat'em up,  did not really help I think.  :P

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 30, 2016, 11:40:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2016, 10:29:57 AM

So not,  in the '90s, and different demographics were targeted.  :P
It wasn't called/recognized as anime at the time. Besides, cartoons = for children. In the 90s the term anime started being used and it was marketed at an older audience.

Sailor Moon a popular niche for sci-fi/action fans? Interesting. I can see Dragonball being a popular niche but Sailor Moon mostly feminised the anime audience. The SNES Sailor Moon videogame released in Europe, a not so good beat'em up,  did not really help I think.  :P

Uhm, no, anime (which was marketed as such) was first popular with sci-fi and action fans; Sailor Moon and Dragonball then brought it into mainstream for teens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2016, 11:56:02 AM

It wasn't called/recognized as anime at the time. Besides, cartoons = for children. In the 90s the term anime started being used and it was marketed at an older audience.

Cartoons for adults existed before cf. Fritz the Cat so no about cartoons for children. In fact, the problem with anime/japanese cartoons for Ségolènes was they thought the only worthy cartoons had to be very childish if not sloppy, so Captain Future (sci-fi "violence") was already borderline and criticised, so Saint Seiya, Dragonball Z and  last but not least Fist of the North Star were out of "this" i.e their world. First of the North Star is mid '80s material, again predating the the anime wave of the '90s.

Uhm, no, anime (which was marketed as such) was first popular with sci-fi and action fans; Sailor Moon and Dragonball then brought it into mainstream for teens.

Sci-Fi and action fans? So Captain Future fits your bill, yet it was not called anime back then. All marketing again.  :P
Germany discovered Japanese animation very late for Europe, that's why the marketers came up with this artificial distinction between cartoons and anime. Both are traditional animation. People not familiar with the medium think there is a difference between them. Lots of anime exist for children too and/or little girls cf. Candy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Candy (1976) or the Rose of Versailles (1978). Though the Rose of Versailles has Saint Just as a psychopathic ninja once.  :lol:

Countries exposed to Japanese animation tv and films earlier have used both terms for the same concept.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Tripped over a video of a Girls und Panzer scene.  The fuck is wrong with you people.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 12:28:51 AM
Tripped over a video of a Girls und Panzer scene.  The fuck is wrong with you people.

Japs dig panzers
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

It's basically World of Tanks with anime highschool girls, parodying the typical "high school sports team" type of anime. I'll say one thing: the tanks are drawn nicely detailed.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Monoriu

Girls und panzer is great.  Like I said, people watch it for the tanks, not the girls :contract:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjugcZIYRzw

Josquius

I got to episode 6 or so and stalled.
I just can't get the logic of the universe.
Also the cutesy girl side of anime just disturbs me.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2017, 03:23:05 PM

Episode 6 is the fight with the Americans.  You have to keep watching to get the even better battles with the Soviets and Germans.  Then there is the Anzio OVA (Italians) that fills in the gap between ep 7 and 8, with much improved graphics.  The animation and tactics in the movie are just awesome. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2017, 02:37:23 AM

It's basically World of Tanks with anime highschool girls, parodying the typical "high school sports team" type of anime. I'll say one thing: the tanks are drawn nicely detailed.

It needs to fucking stop.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2017, 03:27:50 PM

Episode 6 is the fight with the Americans.  You have to keep watching to get the even better battles with the Soviets and Germans.  Then there is the Anzio OVA (Italians) that fills in the gap between ep 7 and 8, with much improved graphics.  The animation and tactics in the movie are just awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2017, 03:36:30 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 15, 2017, 03:27:50 PM

A further sequel has been announced :contract:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-16/girls-and-panzer-the-final-chapter-anime-announcement-video-streamed/.106535

CountDeMoney

Oh look, it's the strike against Pearl Harbor!

Who knew the Imperial Japanese Navy could be so effective in hobbling the American surface combat fleet by dressing up as teenaged schoolgirls that pee on businessmen?