News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

The Chinese translation avoids the stay night problem altogether.  They just ignore the "stay" part and change it to "a fateful night that lasts forever".  It is precisely four words in Chinese too.  The bulk of Chinese idioms are in four words.  It is a pretty neat translation. 

I gave up on the stay night thing a long time ago.  I just classify it as a bad idea and move on  :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

A lot of anime names don't really make sense.  The popular Nanoha series is known as "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha".  I just don't know what's so "lyrical" about it.  The official name of Madoka Magica is Puella Magi Madoka (a star) Magica.   There is a huge debate on the correctness of Puella Magi in this case.  Even if we assume it is correct, the star thing just boggles the mind.  Not to mention the exact meaning of "magica".  I am also not sure if "Girls und Panzer" is entirely correct German usage.  The second season of Code Geass is known as "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2".  What does R2 stand for?  It could be "round 2" or some combination of "rebellion", "revolt", "revolution" etc.  "Angel Beats" is odd as hell, given the "beats" thing actually refers to [spoiler]the heart beats of Angel[/spoiler].  This is just off the top of my head, and I am sure there are a ton of other examples. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on March 05, 2014, 10:05:46 AM
  I am also not sure if "Girls und Panzer" is entirely correct German usage.

Madchen (Amick) und Panzer?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on March 05, 2014, 08:17:10 AM
"Stay" in English can also mean stop (an archaicism)

Isn't that a fairly common use of it for legal proceedings?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on March 05, 2014, 10:32:41 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 05, 2014, 08:17:10 AM
"Stay" in English can also mean stop (an archaicism)

Isn't that a fairly common use of it for legal proceedings?

Yes, it is. Legal terms tend to remain fairly static. "stop" or "delay" (on reflection the latter usage may be a better theory for the meaning of the word in the title given that the Nasuverse is one where humanity etc. is eventually doomed regardless of what the protagonists do.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Steins Gate is probably well within my top 10 favourite anime shows of the 2010s.  It is a time-travel story.  Okabe (guy on the right) likes to role play as a mad scientist but in truth does nothing but hang with his friends all day.  His life changed when his group discovered a way to send emails to their past selves.  I forgot the exact mechanics but it involved the use of his microwave, frozen fried chicken, bananas, electric shock and mobile phones.  So they started sending stuff like the correct lottery numbers back to their past selves.  Very soon things spiraled out of control due to the butterfly effect. 

Started as somewhat light-hearted, but the story progressively became more serious, even nightmarish by the middle.  Everything was very well done.  I couldn't help but marathon through the very engaging second half.  Time travel stories are typically convoluted and difficult to understand, but Steins Gate presented a narrative that is reasonably easy to follow.  It explored the problem of knowing what was to come and trying to change it, only to screw up in some other way brilliantly. 

24 episodes + 1 OVA + 1 movie.  The movie takes the view point of Okabe's love interest, Kirisu (girl in the middle). 

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 04, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
The naming can be strange. What does Fate Stay Night mean? Sometimes anime shows sound like they are named by drawing random words from a hat.

All your bases are belong to me.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on March 05, 2014, 08:01:28 PMit involved the use of his microwave, frozen fried chicken, bananas, electric shock and mobile phones.
It's brilliant! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Can you guys tell me which of these anime are good, as in adult theme:

.hack/quantum OVA
Alakazam
Animen
Yamada's First time
Baka and Test
Black Butler
Blade of the phantom master
Chaos head
Chobits
Chrome shelled regious
D. Gray man
Eden of the East
Fairy Tail
Ghost hunt
Girls Bravo
Heaven's lost property
Hero tales
Hetalia
Initial D
Kaze no stigma
Kenichi, the mightiest disciple
Kite
Legend of the legendary heroes
Mazinkaiser SKL
Moonphase
My bride is a mermaid
Okami-san
Princess jellyfish
Rin, Daughters of Mnemosyne
Rosario plus vampire
Sekirei
Soul Eater
Welcome to the NHK

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 08:56:56 PM
Can you guys tell me which of these anime are good, as in adult theme:

.hack/quantum OVA
Alakazam
Animen
Yamada's First time
Baka and Test
Black Butler
Blade of the phantom master
Chaos head
Chobits
Chrome shelled regious
D. Gray man
Eden of the East
Fairy Tail
Ghost hunt
Girls Bravo
Heaven's lost property
Hero tales
Hetalia
Initial D
Kaze no stigma
Kenichi, the mightiest disciple
Kite
Legend of the legendary heroes
Mazinkaiser SKL
Moonphase
My bride is a mermaid
Okami-san
Princess jellyfish
Rin, Daughters of Mnemosyne
Rosario plus vampire
Sekirei
Soul Eater
Welcome to the NHK

Of this list, I have only completed Fairy Tail, Moonphase, and Rosario plus Vampire.

Fairy Tail is a pretty standard shonen adventure fight series (like Dragonball, One Piece), though a very good one at that.  I won't call it serious or mature, but it is very entertaining shonen.  175 episodes, 1 movie and like 8 OVAs.  It is a pretty big time investment.  The anime has been on a one year hiatus due to catching up with the manga.  They will relaunch the anime in April. 

I find Moonphase somewhat boring.  The story is about a cute female vampire living among a human household and their attempts to resist other vampires from taking her back. The main attractions are the signature style of the director and the superb voice performances.  It was the beginning of a very successful collaboration among Shaft (studio), Akiyuki Shinbo (director), Chiwa Saito (lead female voice actress), and Hiroshi Kamiya (lead male voice actor).  This group will continue to collaborate on many successful shows to come.  I watched it primarily because I am a big Shinbo and Saito fan (they collaborated in other shows like Bakemonogatari and Madoka Magica).  No, I won't call it an adult anime. 

Rosario plus Vampire is probably one of the worst anime shows that I have watched in recent memory.  A botched adaptation of a popular manga.  The anime is the very definition of a boring, plotless harem show with hundreds if not thousands of panty shots inserted for no reason other than fanservice.  Probably the only reason to watch it is if you are a fan of Nana Mizuki, who is arguably one of the best singers among this generation of seiyuus.  I strongly recommend that you check out her songs.

I've only watched one episode of Sekirei.  Basically a fanservice show with like several dozen female characters in skimpy costumes to satisfy every fetish. 

Chaos Head (I've never watched any) technically takes place in the same universe as Steins Gate.  The reason I haven't watched it is that it is almost universally penned by critics.  That's all I know.

Initial D is a super popular car racing story.  I haven't watched any.   Not interested in car racing. 

Legend of the legendary heroes has been sitting on my harddrive forever.  Medieval fantasy adventure, if I remember correctly.

Siege

I started Eden of the East, and its quite an interesting drama.
I think I'm gonna keep watching.

Siege

Mono, anything about Chrome shelled regious?
The picture looks interesting.

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 09:50:15 PM
Mono, anything about Chrome shelled regious?
The picture looks interesting.

Never heard of this one, or Eden of the East. 

Siege

I think you are going to like Eden of the East.
Post a quick review after you watch it.
It is current times suspense. Made in 2009.
A guy wakes up in complete memory loss in front of the Whitehouse naked with a cellphone and a gun.