News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 10:41:42 PM
I think you are going to like Eden of the East.
Post a quick review after you watch it.
It is current times suspense. Made in 2009.
A guy wakes up in complete memory loss in front of the Whitehouse naked with a cellphone and a gun.

I've looked at the wiki description and it does sound very interesting.  I'll definitely watch it.  Though I have a pretty big backlog to clear and it'll be sometime before I get to this one  :D

Currently watching Kara no Kyōkai, literally, boundery of emptiness/sky/air.  Everybody says this is difficult to understand.  They are absolutely right  :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

If you want to watch something with adult themes, watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2014, 11:36:50 PM
If you want to watch something with adult themes, watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Seconded.  One of the best shows of all time.  The 2003 version isn't as good but is entertaining in its own right.  If you have the time, watch both.  Otherwise, just watch Brotherhood.  Both versions are animated by the same studio, and they are two different versions of the story.  The difference is that, when the 2003 version was released, the manga was still ongoing.  So the first half followed the manga, while the ending was different from the manga.  Brotherhood followed the manga much more faithfully, and is the better story.  Brotherhood is 64 episodes plus one movie (the movie is a side story).  The 2003 version is 50+ episodes plus one movie (the movie provides the "true end"). 

Lettow77

In answer to Mono's top 5 from 2010-2013, i've decided on a top 10. Madoka and Fate/Zero may have had a shot at appearing in this list; because of a wish to spare redundancy, they will not. Similarly, Saraiya Goyou and Hyouge Mono won't be making appearances either, although Saraiya Goyou may well have topped the list. I won't try to make it a linear top 10, or unduly burden the thread with a glut of pictures.

Sora no Woto- The sort of mellow post-apocalyptic show Japan specializes in, Sora no Woto features a cast of female soldiers staffing a lonely military post in a shattered world. With strong European influences in architecture, geopolitics and uniforms, it is a thought-provoking, cute show.

Hidamari Sketch- Art heavily reminiscent of Madoka owing to the fact it shares the same illustrator, Hidamari Sketch is a lazy and cute narrative about four high school students at an art school. It has no crises to speak of, and is very fluffy. This sort of show is exceedingly popular in Japan, and Hidamari Sketch stands out as particularly talented at what it does.

Tatami Galaxy- A young man entering college finds his pursuit of the "Rose-colored campus life" disrupted by his surroundings and lack of realistic vision. He becomes caught in a time warp that looks at the strings of fate, self-determination and friendship.

Nichijou- An experimental offering by Kyoto Animation as well as something of a financial failure, Nichijou has distinctive art and animation that  gives it a great sense of life, and is at heart a sketch comedy with a large side-business in warm fuzzy feelings. It could be well described as a more absurdist Azumanga Daioh.

Usagi Drop- A single man nearing middle-age takes care of a young toddler, and confronts the large adjustment it brings to his life. Hits a good mix of tension, drama and warmth.

Yuru Yuri- A light lesbian comedy about middle schoolers. That is a tall statement for people without heavy exposure to anime culture to handle, but it neither lewd nor serious, while being geniunely funny. The second season is much stronger than the first.

Girls Und Panzer- Doesn't significantly vary from the expectations set by the title. Different High Schools' Panzer Clubs fight in tournaments, with all except for the protagonist high school having a theme nationality. (The match against the Italian high school is particularly memorable.)

Sakamichi no Apollon- A period drama in postwar Kyushu, revolving around the life of a few high school musicians. Unusually mature and serious in its outlook, Sakamichi no Apollon features lots of Jazz, Kyushu dialect, and angst. The music is augmented by the Yoko Kanno mono thinks so highly of.

Thermae Romae- A Roman Architect and Bathhouse enthusiast finds himself the beneficiary of portals in time and space that briefly spit him out into modern day Japan's public bathhouses. His comparisons between the two country's bathing culture, and his attempts to apply what he learns backtime, easily carry the short comedy.

It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular!/ Watamote- A high school girl's freshman year is a disabusement of the illusions the seedy side of her culture taught her about being a Japanese High School Girl; she struggles with puberty and why nobody actually likes her or courts her favor, but is her own worst enemy.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Monoriu

They just released the Blu-ray disc of the movie version of Anohana.

Anohana is short form for The Flower We Saw That Day, which is itself a short form for the official name of the anime, We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day.  I gave up a long time ago trying to remember all that, so I'll just call it Anohana. 

A group of 6 kids were very good friends with each other many years ago.  One day, Menma (girl in white) died in an accident, and the others soon drifted apart.  The story began when they became teenagers, and she came back as a very friendly ghost with zero ounce of malice.  She had a wish that she wanted to fulfill, and had forgotten what it was.  The other five friends began to rediscover their relationships with each other when they tried to help Menma. 

The story is very moving, probably one of the most tearjerking stories of the 2010s alongside Madoka Magica and Angel Beats.   There is a good reason why the audience of the movie version are each handed a box of tissue when they entered the theatres.  The deep characters and complex web of relationships among them make for a very rich 11-episode story. 

Monoriu

My top 10 of 2010s anime shows

1. Madoka Magica
2. Attack on Titan
3. Fate/Zero
4. Angel Beats
5. Sword Art Online
6. Steins Gate
7. Girls und Panzer
8. Anohana/The Flower We Saw That Day
9. Monogatari Series
10. The Devil is a Part-timer

Monoriu

If it is my top 10 anime shows of all time, it'll be -

1. Madoka Magica
2. Attack on Titan
3. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4. Fate/Zero
5. Angel Beats
6. Code Geass
7. Clannad
8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
9. Gundam Seed
10. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Lettow77

Agelastus

Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 09:50:15 PM
Mono, anything about Chrome shelled regios?
The picture looks interesting.

A decent anime that needs a second/third season (since it stopped about a third of the way (IIRC) through the Light Novel series.) Unfortunately, it didn't sell well enough for that.

Pros: A fascinating world (where giant cities roam a wasteland occupied by creatures that eat humans and that seem to have an at least partially transdimensional origin, and who compete against each other in games/tournaments for access to resources such as mines.) Intriguing storyline. Interesting characters. Decent balance of serious and more comedic moments. Occasionally genuinely inspired with the atmosphere it creates (although it's a bit of a spoiler the episodes involving a destroyed city and the flashbacks to the last time several of the protagonists saw it is both tense and chilling.)

Cons: Bad reviews compared to the light novel source. A half-assed harem (or half implemented - either don't have a harem part or do it properly, I quite like both ways.) Stops at too early a part of the light novels so fails to explain enough in its rush to have a reasonable ending.

Ultimate Con - I've read the last few pages of the Light Novel and absolutely loathe the resolution of the romantic subplot.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 06, 2014, 06:36:45 AM

Quick top 9

The only one that I recognise is Legend of Galactic Heroes.  I do love that show.  What's the other 8? 

jimmy olsen

The one in the left bottom corner is this. It's pretty good, not lighthearted fare though, it can be quite disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kino%27s_Journey
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

I can only comment on a few.

Quote from: Siege on March 05, 2014, 08:56:56 PM
.hack/quantum OVA
Alakazam
Animen
Yamada's First time

Baka and Test - very, very funny show but doesn't really have an adult theme. Involves a school that bases the class facilities on the level of their academic achievement, but that also allows the students to upset the status quo via challenge matches using "Summoned Beasts" (actually holographic chibi avatars.) The lead character is probably the least annoying genuinely stupid guy in anime.
Black Butler
Blade of the phantom master

Chaos head - poor adaptation of a popular visual novel; it is, however, probably the most adult of all the shows on the list.
Chobits
Chrome shelled regios - see my above post
D. Gray man
Eden of the East

Fairy Tail - enjoyable lengthy anime based on a shonen manga with two advantages over Naruto. Firstly, has many more (and much stronger) female characters and secondly has much superior fillers (the largest arc of which has been largely canonised by references in the Manga.) Also due to restart soon.
Ghost hunt - a gem. A show that I first watched as a fansub, but that I then bought on DVD to support the industry. Follows a team of psychic researchers, most have whom have (not too dark) secrets through a series of cases that are treated in an absolutely straight and serious fashion. Everyone gets to shine at one point or another. The only issue is that they never animated the last two books of the series (only doing the first six.) I believe the last two books are translated on Baka-Tsuki however.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Main_Page
Girls Bravo - a gem of another kind, probably not to your taste though. One guy, many girls, and probably the best of all the fanservice comedies I've seen.
Heaven's lost property - Or more probably known to Mon as "Sora no Otoshimo". A very enjoyable adaptation of a good Manga (that has just finished - we should have a third season soon.) Magnificent animation and excellent music, but a main character who is unlikeable and likeable in equal measures. The supporting cast though is excellent and never less than interesting. And the story manages its tonal shifts exquisitely (since the series varies between scenes of complete absurdity and some serious psychological torture and mental abuse, this is vital.)
Hero tales
Hetalia
Initial D

Kaze no stigma - average adaptation of a light novel series left sadly unfinished by the author's death. Excellent character design and a show that doesn't flinch from showing that sometimes you can't save everybody. If you like a show involving people with supernatural powers you may enjoy it.
Kenichi, the mightiest disciple
Kite

Legend of the legendary heroes - effectively the prologue for a longer series of light novels. Decent swords and sorcery comedy romp contrasting with diversions into much, much darker territory. Manages to have a reasonable ending despite the set-up nature of the series but still leaves a lot hanging. Several of the subsequent novels have been translated on Baka Tsuki.
Mazinkaiser SKL
Moonphase
My bride is a mermaid
Okami-san
Princess jellyfish
Rin, Daughters of Mnemosyne

Rosario plus vampire - probably one of the top three worst anime adaptations of a manga of all time. Threw out the plot and most of the characterisation from the Manga and just retained the comedy - with particularly dire consequences. Read the Manga (which I heartily recommend) and ignore this dreck.
Sekirei
Soul Eater
Welcome to the NHK

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Bottom right of Lettow's post is Emma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_(manga)

And top left appears to be Aria.

But I'm not sure of most of the rest either.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Lettow77

Given that Saraiya Goyou quite literally featured a few pages back, i'm a little surprised. But if an explanation is needed, Left to Right, Top to Bottom:

Aria, Mushishi, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Tatami Galaxy, Saraiya Goyou, Sketchbook: Full Color's
Kino no Tabi, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Emma

Top to Bottom is roughly in order of esteem they are held. Aria takes pride of place.

Monoriu

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 06, 2014, 07:51:23 AM
Given that Saraiya Goyou quite literally featured a few pages back, i'm a little surprised. But if an explanation is needed, Left to Right, Top to Bottom:

Aria, Mushishi, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Tatami Galaxy, Saraiya Goyou, Sketchbook: Full Color's
Kino no Tabi, Maria-sama ga Miteru, Emma

Top to Bottom is roughly in order of esteem they are held. Aria takes pride of place.

Since you've watched so many anime shows, I am going to just trust you and grab your number 1 show.  That, and I noticed that Chiwa Saito, my favourite seiyuu, is part of the cast  :bowler: