Hipster wannabes forking over thousands for ‘facial hair transplants’

Started by garbon, February 25, 2014, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://nypost.com/2014/02/25/hipster-wannabes-forking-over-thousands-for-facial-hair-transplants/

QuoteBrooklyn's hipster beard craze has grown so popular, that men in New York are rushing to plastic surgeons for "facial hair transplants" — surgery that helps make beards look thicker and less patchy, sources said.

Stubble-challenged guys are forking over up to $7,000 for the beard-boosting procedure, which has spiked in popularity in recent months, the neighborhood Web site DNAinfo.com reports

"Whether you are talking about the Brooklyn hipster or the advertising executive, the look is definitely to have a bit of facial hair," said Dr. Jeffrey Epstein, a facial plastic surgeon, told the site.

Epstein, who works in Midtown, performs roughly three beard implants per week — up from just a handful each year, he said.

Some "hip" and "fashionable" young professionals are tapping into a specific lumberjack-meets-roadie "look" made popular in neighborhoods such as Williamsburg, Bushwick and Park Slope, doctors said.

Many patients young professionals in 20s and 30s, said Dr. Yael Halaas, another plastic surgeon who specializes in facial hair transplants.
"I get a lot of detail-oriented people — artists, architects," Halaas said.

During the surgery, doctors implant hair follicles from other parts of the body, including the head and
chest. New beards grow back just like real hair — and can be shaved.

The hair-raising trend isn't just popular with hipsters. Other patients include men who have struggled since adolescence to grow a beard, female-to-mail transgender people and Hasidic Jews, doctors said.

One 46-year-old patient said the change in appearance was gradual.

"It wasn't like 'Wow. What happened to you?' like one day...you dyed your hair," he said.

"Sometimes I am clean-shaven or it's more scruff and sometimes I let it grow out," Peter said. "At least I have choices, right?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Razgovory

I grow a lot of hair on my butt.  I wonder if I can sell it.

"Straight from my ass to your face!", is a catchy slogan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Darlings, the blurb of an article notes that they generally take follicles from the patient's chest and head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 08:54:29 PM
Darlings, the blurb of an article notes that they generally take follicles from the patient's chest and head.

You never let us have any fun.

garbon

garbon

Don't knock it till you've tried. I kissed a girl and as much as I can recall, I liked it.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:30:11 PM
Don't knock it till you've tried. I kissed a girl and as much as I can recall, I liked it.

Of course you did, girls are awesome. Especially when they look like Katy Perry.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Also,

THIS IS MY BEARD, THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE. MY BEARD IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MASTER MY LIFE. WITHOUT ME IT IS USELESS, WITHOUT MY BEARD I AM USELESS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2014, 10:39:06 PM

Of course you did, girls are awesome. Especially when they look like Katy Perry.

I don't think that any of the girls I kissed looked/look like Katy Perry.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:45:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2014, 10:39:06 PM

I don't think that any of the girls I kissed looked/look like Katy Perry.

That might explain a lot  :hmm: