News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy D-Day!

Started by Syt, June 06, 2009, 12:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'm celebrating by playing Beachhead.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

You know what.  It's nice we don't have to celebrate X-day. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2009, 02:33:42 AM
You know what.  It's nice we don't have to celebrate X-day.

What do you have against X-mas now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2009, 02:54:26 AM

What do you have against X-mas now?

Santa can't get into Raz' concrete bunker.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Syt

I'm watching Saving Private Ryan.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2009, 06:00:38 AM

Great movie.  Nazis get whacked.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2009, 06:04:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2009, 06:00:38 AM

Great movie.  Nazis get whacked.

Watched BoB again last weekend, and I must say BoB is so much better. All SPR has going for it is the battle scenes; the rest is Hollywood at its cheesiest.

A BoB style show about a German (Panzer?) unit could be intersting, adding a layer of morale dilemma when the unit gets faced with atrocities or is asked/forced/avoids to participate. Of course no one would have the balls to do a movie/series like that.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Norgy

I have stocked up on DVDs, going from the BBC series "World War II" from 1973, to "D-Day" by the BBC with Sean Bean as narrator (Sir Laurence Olivier narrates the 1973 series).

Interesting fact: More Norwegian servicemen than French servicemen died on D-Day. Did the French use: God Mode?

Solmyr

There were about 3 French servicemen in total (all of them French Jews). :frog:

Syt

From the trivia on IMDB for SPR:
QuoteAbraham Lincoln''s letter to Mrs. Bixby, while a real document, was inaccurate when written. Only two of her sons died: Sgt. Charles Bixby at the Battle of Fredericksburg in 1862 and Pvt. Charles Bixby at Petersburg, Virginia, the following year. Two more sons, Pvts. George and Edward Bixby, both deserted, and the remaining son, Cpl. Henry Bixby, was captured and later swapped in a prisoner exchange. In fact, Mrs. Bixby - a Confederate sympathizer who operated a brothel - had lied to the War Department about the number of sons she'd lost. Moreover, according to the Abraham Lincoln Association, the letter itself wasn't even written by Lincoln but by one of his secretaries, John Hay. Brown University houses Hay's scrapbook of newspaper clippings which featured his writings. The Mrs. Bixby letter, publicly credited to Lincoln, is among them. One of the words in the letter, "beguiled", was helpful in showing that it wasn't Lincoln who wrote the letter. A database of Lincoln speeches/writings revealed the only instance in which he uses the word "beguiled" is in the Bixby letter. Hay, however, is documented to have used it at least a dozen different times in his letters, writings and speeches.
:lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2009, 06:29:48 AM
From the trivia on IMDB for SPR:

Nazis would never have done that.

Palisadoes

Quote from: Norgy on June 06, 2009, 06:11:20 AMInteresting fact: More Norwegian servicemen than French servicemen died on D-Day. Did the French use: God Mode?
They must've been hiding somewhere?

Darth Wagtaros

I never thought I could shoot down a German plane, but last year I proved myself wrong.
PDH!