Parched California Pours Mega-Millions Into Desalination Tech

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2014, 04:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

QuoteIt would drive out people making money and attract people not making money. 
Were the people making money to be somehow driven out (it would be a first) then California wouldn't be such an attraction to poor idiots from elsewhere

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2014, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2014, 05:59:04 AM
I hope they're charging domestic customers (earning over a certain threshold) through the roof in utiltiies.

What would that accomplish?
Helping to fund the idiocy without hurting the poor or farmers.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Texas will have to be doing more of this crap soon as well. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2014, 10:39:09 AM

It would drive out people making money and attract people not making money.  :)

Anyone who can afford California Real Estate won't have a problem paying high utility bills.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2014, 04:12:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2014, 10:39:09 AM

It would drive out people making money and attract people not making money.  :)

Anyone who can afford California Real Estate won't have a problem paying high utility bills.

Renters exist in California. Ghettos, too.  :mellow:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Richard Hakluyt

Residential use is not the main problem though, as can be seen by reading this piece :

http://www.sanfranciscobay.sierraclub.org/yodeler/html/2010/05/article5.htm

80% of the water used for human activities goes to irrigation in the agricultural sector. That agricultural sector is hugely profitable, but my understanding is that it is also profligate with water, water for which it pays very little compared to the residential consumer. No doubt residents of California could be more careful about water use, but the biggest savings are likely to come from more efficient irrigation techniques.