News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Singularity Alert: 3D Printing

Started by Siege, February 23, 2014, 11:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
What is the singularity that Siege is talking about?

The theory that once a person develops a computer that can think and is as smart as the inventor, the computer will upgrade itself exponentially gaining godlike intelligence.  At that point people will live in a permanent state of future shock.  I'm not entirely certain why this would be a positive.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

So my big question is, when the singularity happens will we finally see competent AI in strategy games? And is this going to happen soon, because I've been waiting a long time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2014, 11:03:16 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2014, 09:29:32 PM
What is the singularity that Siege is talking about?

The theory that once a person develops a computer that can think and is as smart as the inventor, the computer will upgrade itself exponentially gaining godlike intelligence.  At that point people will live in a permanent state of future shock.  I'm not entirely certain why this would be a positive.

Not exactly. The idea is that people will enhance themselves (most importantly their brains), not a computer. The result being mankind gains said godlike intelligence, rather than AIs.

Razgovory

I'm pretty sure it has to do with computers and AIs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

If you like Sci-Fi, Vernor Vinge has written a few novels around the concept. I think the first one that dealt directly with the singularity was 'Marooned in real time', released almost 30 years ago. I tells the story of a small group of humans that manages to miss the point when mankind transcends into something else. I read it after 'The Peace war', but I don't know if that's necessary.

lustindarkness

So Siege is counting on the singularity to get a brain? That makes sense now.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 25, 2014, 09:39:59 AM
So Siege is counting on the singularity to get a brain? That makes sense now.

He should have just asked the Wizard of Oz.  That's what I did.   :)

(Though now it hurts my feelings whenever Grumbler uses the term "Strawman" as a pejorative.   :()
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maximus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2014, 11:09:46 PM
So my big question is, when the singularity happens will we finally see competent AI in strategy games? And is this going to happen soon, because I've been waiting a long time.
The bottleneck here is computing power, not the state of the art. Gaming(and other) AI could probably be handled by a secondary GPU but developers aren't doing it because so few of their customers have a spare GPU attached to their computers. I imagine in the future high-end rigs will have a dedicated AI chip.

https://developer.nvidia.com/gpu-ai-path-finding

Syt

Would multi threading on now common multicore systems help?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2014, 06:58:49 PM
Yeah, but that's industrial 3D printing, which have been around for years.
I want consumer 3D printing to get there.

5-10 years, not that long.
And industrial is more important in the grand scheme of things.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2014, 01:37:40 PM

I disagree. Nothing changes the game in the life of a technology like when it goes from industrial to personal. Look at computers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 25, 2014, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 25, 2014, 01:37:40 PM

I disagree. Nothing changes the game in the life of a technology like when it goes from industrial to personal. Look at computers.

Yea I have to agree with this

Maximus

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Certainly multithreading will help. But the kind of massive number crunching that I see being required for effective AI is similar to the kind required for 3d graphics. If the demand for AI follows the demand for 3d graphics, then specialized hardware will follow suit. And I expect gaming to push the envelope with this just as it did with graphics.

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on February 25, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Yeah, but implementation is non-trivial. Rendering, in contrast, is pretty easily broken up into little pieces to be fed to different GPU pipelines.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on February 25, 2014, 01:51:10 PM
And I expect gaming to push the envelope with this just as it did with graphics.

I dont know about that.  Great graphics are obvious and easy to sell.  Great AI is something people talk about but never deliver but sell games anyway because they have great graphics.

Put another way if the demand for great AI was the same as the demand for great graphics we would be there already.