News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Singularity Alert: 3D Printing

Started by Siege, February 23, 2014, 11:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2014, 11:40:46 PM
You can see where 3D Printing is.
A long way to mature.

"Enterprise 3D Printing" on the step before the plateau, only 2-5 years to reach.   :contract:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 24, 2014, 06:51:47 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 23, 2014, 11:40:46 PM
You can see where 3D Printing is.
A long way to mature.

"Enterprise 3D Printing" on the step before the plateau, only 2-5 years to reach.   :contract:

Yeah, but that's industrial 3D printing, which have been around for years.
I want consumer 3D printing to get there.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2014, 07:13:52 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2014, 04:40:38 AM
Why is Siege so big on the "Rapture of Nerds"?
Ah, another milestone of technological development, perhaps?
Like the renaissance or the industrial revolution?
Another theory that supports my theory about alien life?
Given enough time, every planet that can hold life will hold life, every life holding planet will hold intelligent life, every intelligent life will become a technological civilization, every technological civilization will reach the singularity and become undetectable  to less developed civilizations, therefore answering Fermis Paradox.

I think it's a bit more then another milestone of technological development.  Why would a society be undetectable to less developed civilizations?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2014, 07:07:25 PM
Given enough time, every planet that can hold life will hold life, every life holding planet will hold intelligent life, every intelligent life will become a technological civilization, every technological civilization will reach the singularity and become undetectable  to less developed civilizations, therefore answering Fermis Paradox.

I think it's a bit more then another milestone of technological development.  Why would a society be undetectable to less developed civilizations?

Nanotechnology. A post-singularity society building at the nano-scale would eventually retreat from the physical world.

Siege

Quote from: KRonn on February 24, 2014, 10:10:45 AM
The other stuff is amazing too but one of the bigger ones that stands out to me is that they're now talking about creating human organs with this tech.

Quote:

Imagine a printer that operates in three dimensions, building up solid objects a layer at a time. Such printers exist and are used for making prototypes and models. Depending on what kind of material can be layered and the resolution of the printer, it might be possible to print up objects as mundane as toasters or as rare as star sapphires. (We might not have to wait for Robby the Robot to crystallize the gems.)

But even more important, we're on the threshold of being able to fabricate living tissue. Researchers have already demonstrated that they can print living cells onto a collagen framework to create specific tissues and even whole functioning organs. We might eventually be able to grow our own replacement organs in the lab—skin, hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers, ears, hands, feet, arms, legs—and not have to wait for some unfortunate motorcyclist to lose an encounter with an SUV. We could see this happening within ten years. Could we grow whole new bodies...? We won't know until we get there, but once upon a time a heart transplant was unthinkable too.

Beyond that, being able to print living tissue could revolutionize agriculture. Why breed a whole cow when you can grow a steak in a bio-fab factory? Once the process is perfected and the product is approved safe for human consumption, a bio-engineered filet could be cheaper, safer, and healthier than meat produced the old-fashioned way. And a lot more humane. But why stop at steak? We could grow any cut of meat we wanted, and probably far more economically than raising a whole animal. Want some fresh dolphin or whale meat? Elephant? Panda? (Even cannibals might be able to legally ... never mind.)

Of course, we'd still maintain herds of all kinds for genetic diversity, but we wouldn't need to destroy the rain forests of the world to create more pasture for more cattle to feed the world's growing appetite for meat. This one is a no-brainer. It's not just a growth industry, it's a growth industry. As the world's population continues to grow, factory farms may be our only hope for avoiding a food crisis. We might see this before 2020.

David Gerrold @ Maximum PC
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/singularity_five_technologies_will_change_world_and_one_wont?page=0,2

Eddie Teach

Because they're on a planet millions of light years away.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2014, 08:28:06 PM

Nanotechnology. A post-singularity society building at the nano-scale would eventually retreat from the physical world.

I'm not seeing a connection between the two concepts of nanotechnology and retreating from the physical world.  Why does one lead to the other?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

From the same previous link:

internet st

Internet Protocol Version 6 is already here. We're switching over now. Prior to IPV6, internet addresses were limited to 32 bits. Under IPV6, internet addresses are 128 bits. This means that there are now 2128 possible internet addresses (340 undecillion), or in more understandable terms "umpty hella-gazillion"—enough so that every living human being on the planet could have 5*1028 separate and specific domains.

What this means in practice is that every thing on the planet worth anything at all, manufactured, grown, discovered, studied, observed, or born, can have its own web address and associated locater-chip. Can't find your car keys? Just ask your phone where they are. Want to know where your steak came from, what lab it was grown in, what nutrients were in the tank, and who inspected it? That's available too, ask your phone.

Your car will be able to drive itself so you can talk on the phone, read a book, or watch TV—it will converse with the vehicles around it, informing them when it needs to change lanes, and all the cars will adjust to maintain safe distances. Want to know where your teenager is at 12:30am? You'll be able to track his location easily—and if he's out street-racing, you'll have evidence of that too.

Want to know how much cash is in your wallet? Ask your phone. Why is there a twenty missing? Your phone will tell you that one of the twenties was removed from your wallet while you were in the shower and is currently in the pocket of your sixteen year-old son. Want him to come home now? Tell the car to bring him home safely.

Had your purse stolen? Ask your phone to alert the police. The thief will be picked up momentarily. Had your car stolen and taken to a chop shop? The police will know where every single piece of it went.

Just bought insurance and need to inventory your physical property for a rate adjustment? Ask your phone. You can print out a list of everything you own, when you bought it, how much you paid, what it's worth now, and what the replacement cost would be in case of fire, flood, earthquake, tornado, or asteroid impact.

Can't find your phone? Ask the refrigerator.

But wait, it gets better. Humans will be chipped too, just like dogs, cats, and cattle. Can't remember the name of that little restaurant you liked in New York? No problem, your personal life history is stored in the cloud. We can remember it for you wholesale. Sign up for Apple's iMemory service.

Catching rapists, muggers, thieves, and murderers will be a lot easier. The cloud will maintain a location-tracking service of everyone, chipped or not. There will be cameras everywhere. Court trials will have a whole new level of evidentiary standards.

Razgovory

I still don't see the connection here.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2014, 08:44:17 PM
But wait, it gets better. Humans will be chipped too, just like dogs, cats, and cattle. Can't remember the name of that little restaurant you liked in New York? No problem, your personal life history is stored in the cloud. We can remember it for you wholesale. Sign up for Apple's iMemory service.

Catching rapists, muggers, thieves, and murderers will be a lot easier. The cloud will maintain a location-tracking service of everyone, chipped or not. There will be cameras everywhere. Court trials will have a whole new level of evidentiary standards.

I have to get off this planet...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

What is the singularity that Siege is talking about?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

I think it's something like the Terminator movies.