Europe at origin of chronic US execution dilemma

Started by garbon, February 18, 2014, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 05:14:19 PM
The article could just as well have been written by a French or American or Chinese author. It doesn't really contain any references to a specific German perspective, merely naming Germany in the larger context of multiple European countries with similar views. So I fail to see how Germany's history of executions has any relevance to the discussion.

That was a pretty weak point anyway.  Like that nobody in the US can have an issue with slavery in a country until they have more slaves than we had total between 1776 and 1865.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

The drugs they used in the last Ohio case -- fentanyl and midazolam, IIRC -- are both very euphoric and widely abused for recreational purposes.  The problem is that contrary to popular belief, a drug overdose does not appear to be a painless death.

During conscious sedation for dental surgery some years ago, I was given the exact same combo plus nitrous oxide (and a Valium to take that morning).  The levels were too high and I essentially started to overdose.  I was blacking out, I couldn't speak or make a deliberate movement, but I felt a wrenching panic as some involuntary bodily mechanism fought to keep me from lapsing into full unconsciousness, almost a sensation of drowning inside yourself.  Luckily, of course, I was being monitored and the IV drip was reduced, and everything was fine -- indeed, profoundly euphoric.  If they'd continued pumping it in, I'm sure full unconsciousness would have come on pretty rapidly and that would have been that.  But I think that experience taught me that a drug overdose death is a more painful subjective experience than most people give it credit for.

I actually think the two-drug combo is probably more humane, however; the one they can't get is the ostensible "heart-stopping" drug, which can be extremely painful if total unconsciousness hasn't set in.  With this combo, you get to die roughly the same death that thousands of Americans die every year from taking too much Oxycontin when you've already got a load of Xanax and booze in your system.  The big difference, of course, being that it's taking place against your will strapped to a gurney in an extremely stressful atmosphere, in terrified contemplation of one's impending death, etc., etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 21, 2014, 05:29:42 PM
The big difference, of course, being that it's taking place against your will strapped to a gurney in an extremely stressful atmosphere, in terrified contemplation of one's impending death, etc., etc.

Do you know my wife?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on February 21, 2014, 05:19:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 21, 2014, 05:14:19 PM
The article could just as well have been written by a French or American or Chinese author. It doesn't really contain any references to a specific German perspective, merely naming Germany in the larger context of multiple European countries with similar views. So I fail to see how Germany's history of executions has any relevance to the discussion.

That was a pretty weak point anyway.  Like that nobody in the US can have an issue with slavery in a country until they have more slaves than we had total between 1776 and 1865.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you bitches were hanging out at the Debate Society. Here in the real Languish no one needs anything but the thinnest veneer of reason to insult a a bunch of Jew-murdering Euros.

Iormlund

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 21, 2014, 05:29:42 PM
The drugs they used in the last Ohio case -- fentanyl and midazolam, IIRC -- are both very euphoric and widely abused for recreational purposes. 

I really tolerant to that shit. The last doc politely inquired if I was a junkie when she saw the doses they had used previously - and even then I only get slightly chatty.