Kazakhstan: Lace underwear ban sparks protests

Started by Brazen, February 18, 2014, 04:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteThe authorities in Kazakhstan have detained several women protesting against a ban on lace underwear, it's been reported.

One of the seven women held at the demonstration in Almaty, was waving what she said was the last pair of lace knickers she had left, Vlast.kz website reports. Another demonstrator told Russia's independent Rain TV that local residents have been receiving messages on their phones urging them to stay at home.

Production, import and sale of lace underwear will stop in July 2014 in Kazakhstan, Russia and Belarus under a Moscow-led Customs Union. Officials say lace does not absorb enough moisture. The regulation was approved back in 2011, but has not been enforced until now.

Recently, Kazakhstan has also seen protests against the falling value of the local currency, the tenge.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-26227943

:unsure:

I can't see them getting away with it in Russia, where there's a huge market for luxury underwear among the nouveau riche.

Brazen

The full story from my friend's Lingerie title:

QuoteLingerie retailers in the Eurasian Union may have to throw away most of their stock when a trade ban on synthetic lace underwear is enforced.

The production, import and sale of synthetic lace panties will be banned from July 1 within the Customs Union between Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus, reports gazeta.ru.

The ban applies to underwear that does not reach a 6% threshold for moisture absorption, but moisture absorption in many of the most popular synthetic material mixtures for lace panties is reportedly only 3 to 3.6%.

Experts have said that means Russia's lingerie outlets will have to bin 90% of their stock if the law is not amended, reported the Telegraph.

The upcoming regulations have sparked protests in Kazakhstan, where seven women have been detained by police for walking the streets with knickers on their heads.

Authorities say the ban is aimed at protecting consumers from cheap materials that could have a negative impact on their health.

http://www.lingerieinsight.com/article-4682-russias-lace-lingerie-ban-sparks-protests/

CountDeMoney

QuoteAuthorities say the ban is aimed at protecting consumers from cheap materials that could have a negative impact on their health.

Yes, I can see where the threat of accidental strangulation and asphyxiation could be an issue with lace panties.

Tamas

Syt

Why do Russians need such a high baseline of underwear moisture absorption ... ?

:x
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Well, the traditional Kazakh swimwear doesn't have lace, so it's safe. Protectionist move?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2014, 05:58:45 AM
Why do Russians need such a high baseline of underwear moisture absorption ... ?

:x

When it is that cold you just don't feel like taking your coat off sometimes I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

I'd imagine the air isn't that humid in Kazakhstan though. The evaporation rate off the skin would be better.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Europeans make goofy regulations.  Film at 11.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2014, 02:22:37 PM
Europeans make goofy regulations.  Film at 11.

You consider Kazakhstan to be European?

Valmy

A small part of it is west of the Urals so....maybe.

I sometimes wondered if it might make a play for EU membership  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Spellus, do we want these people wearing lace undies or not?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: sbr on February 18, 2014, 06:50:33 PM
Spellus, do we want these people wearing lace undies or not?

khazaksgonewild.ru
Experience bij!