And we're back!

Main Menu

The Birth of the American City-state

Started by Siege, February 17, 2014, 12:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2014, 10:37:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2014, 10:34:55 AM
That really just causes a city to move, eventually causing the same "problem" as before, to many liberals in the state.

They can just keep expanding the City States doing this until they get 100% Democrats cities with 51% Republican dominated States, thus fulfilling the Gerrymandering playbook.
yes, but the Senate would then be 100 Republican Senators from the states, and 200 Democratic Senators from the city-states.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
That really just causes a city to move, eventually causing the same "problem" as before, to many liberals in the state.

They can just keep expanding the City States doing this until they get 100% Democrats cities with 51% Republican dominated States, thus fulfilling the Gerrymandering playbook.
yes, but the Senate would then be 100 Republican Senators from the states, and 200 Democratic Senators from the city-states.
The model that he provided was 50/50, because the state's senators were split.  1 for the state, and one for all the city-states within the state combined.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Also he's being a bit loose with "city-state" as he's taking the bay area as a whole as one city-state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2014, 03:04:04 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 17, 2014, 02:23:57 PM

The model that he provided was 50/50, because the state's senators were split.  1 for the state, and one for all the city-states within the state combined.
So, his idea that cities should be treated as separate states, except in cases where that gives the liberals more representation.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2014, 03:26:13 PM
So, his idea that cities should be treated as separate states, except in cases where that gives the liberals more representation.  :hmm:

Well his point is that Conservatives who are minorities in electoral districts are not winning elections and thus need a radical change to the Constitution to give them more representation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I thought his point was largely about taxation and spending.  I might not have read the whole thing however.

Zanza

Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2014, 10:20:44 AM
Those are really bad for any country.  Countries that use them aren't exactly bastions of freedom, good government and justice.
The arguably most successful Western country of the last decade has preferential voting.

Razgovory

It's a very muddled and confused idea.  At one point the author claims the city states would be free to create dictatorships where they take away the 2nd amendment so apparently the constitution doesn't actually exist in this scenario.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2014, 04:09:46 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 17, 2014, 10:20:44 AM
Those are really bad for any country.  Countries that use them aren't exactly bastions of freedom, good government and justice.
The arguably most successful Western country of the last decade has preferential voting.
:huh: We don't have anything of the sort.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2014, 03:08:19 PM
Also he's being a bit loose with "city-state" as he's taking the bay area as a whole as one city-state.
I don't see how that follows.  It's not like it would be totally bizarre to define the whole bay area metro as one city.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

So can we all agree that this is a stupid idea?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2014, 05:24:28 PM

Depends what you mean.  A number of countries around their world established their national capitals as separate "city states," and most seem pleased with the choice.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2014, 05:33:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2014, 05:24:28 PM

Depends what you mean.  A number of countries around their world established their national capitals as separate "city states," and most seem pleased with the choice.
My guess is he's meaning this in the context of US politics.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2014, 05:35:16 PM

Well, it certainly carried the House of Representatives.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2014, 05:35:16 PM

The District of Columbia is a separate entity.

If Raz's question is whether the rural parts of states would lose out financially if their revenue and spending were separated from cities, then I don't know.