Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

Started by garbon, February 14, 2014, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2014, 02:34:35 PM
If one really feels that they pay more in taxes than they get in value, they move to a country where they get better value for their money.

The US will still tax my income if I move somewhere with lower taxes. That won't help me.  :huh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Notice how it is the people who have already won the class war who are decrying having a class war?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 03:52:24 PM
Notice how it is the people who have already won the class war who are decrying having a class war?

You have an odd conception of warfare.

Grinning_Colossus

This man is a supremely appropriate spokesman for the 1% and needs to be given a lot of exposure.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 03:55:38 PM

Well according to Perkins it is more like Class Holocaust.  Have you gotten your 99% Brownshirt yet?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 03:55:38 PM

Most people who talk about "class war" don't actually mean bullets and such you know.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:12:45 PM
Most people who talk about "class war" don't actually mean bullets and such you know.

I get that.  But "class warfare" is generally thought to involve an action a little more directed than making a bunch of money.

The Brain

I don't understand. The rich won the class war but there is still a class war? Surely a class war isn't won on an individual level.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2014, 01:58:38 PM
Tom Perkins seems to be the amateur here.

He is also the one who wants to split California into 6 states, with SV being one of them (heard about it on Marketplace).  Dude is nuttier than squirrel shit.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

I get that.  But "class warfare" is generally thought to involve an action a little more directed than making a bunch of money.

How about an action directed toward making a lot more at the expense of those who are not in your class?

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:28:27 PM
How about an action directed toward making a lot more at the expense of those who are not in your class?

Please explain what you mean by that.  Presumably you're not talking about theft.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 04:31:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 14, 2014, 04:28:27 PM

Please explain what you mean by that.  Presumably you're not talking about theft.

I am talking about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ehzfQ4hAQ

No, I am not talking about theft, at least not in the strict definition of the word, just like "class war" doesn't mean anyone shooting at anyone else in the strict definition of the word war.

Just look at the outcome of the last couple decades. Forget the ideology for two seconds (if you are capable) and just talk about outcomes. You cannot argue that the outcome of the last few decades can possibly be ok for human society.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

In case you missed it, he is advocating taking away voting rights for people who dont make as much money as people in his class.   How would you characterize it?

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2014, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 02:10:41 PM
Political systems which have included a property or income qualification have tended to work for the benefit of the upper classes.  Political systems which have not have had a tendency to hand out more free money.  Both have their disadvantages.

True, but systems that have included property qualifications have all been overthrown or amended, so it isn't like the verdict of history isn't in on that concept.  It's better to have an annoyed elite than desperate masses.
The problem with appealing to history's verdict is that history doesn't necessarily develop in the right way, especially in the short term.  For example, US had a very good thing going during the Gilded Age, but it pissed it all away in 1913 with the introduction of Federal Reserve system and income taxes.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2014, 04:49:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2014, 02:36:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 02:10:41 PM
Political systems which have included a property or income qualification have tended to work for the benefit of the upper classes.  Political systems which have not have had a tendency to hand out more free money.  Both have their disadvantages.

True, but systems that have included property qualifications have all been overthrown or amended, so it isn't like the verdict of history isn't in on that concept.  It's better to have an annoyed elite than desperate masses.
The problem with appealing to history's verdict is that history doesn't necessarily develop in the right way, especially in the short term.  For example, US had a very good thing going during the Gilded Age, but it pissed it all away in 1913 with the introduction of Federal Reserve system and income taxes.

JR incoming in 3-2-1.....