Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

Started by garbon, February 14, 2014, 01:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 14, 2014, 07:23:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 07:21:09 PM
Anyway, it goes toward my theory that libertarians and the like are sorta luke warm on the whole democracy thing.

Anyone who cares more about rights than consensus would be by definition, wouldn't they?

Well, their rights at least.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I remember Hans posting an article from the NRO, decrying the move toward democracy in Hong Kong because it would ruin the free market as poor people would inevitably socialize the whole system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 07:32:27 PM
I remember Hans posting an article from the NRO, decrying the move toward democracy in Hong Kong because it would ruin the free market as poor people would inevitably socialize the whole system.
To be fair, a lot of people claiming to be libertarian are really authoritarian reactionaries that selectively adopt some libertarians justifications for added legitimacy.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2014, 03:22:43 PM
The US will still tax my income if I move somewhere with lower taxes. That won't help me.  :huh:

:huh: You will get better return on the investment, or you won't do it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2014, 08:34:11 PM
To be fair, a lot of people claiming to be libertarian are really authoritarian reactionaries that selectively adopt some libertarians justifications for added legitimacy.

I'm not sure I would make a difference between the two.  Libertarians often decry the overarching federal powers that happen to curb the powers of the local elites have over the not so elite.  And by coincidence hardcore libertarians have pretensions toward being local elites.  When they talk about "local control" and "states rights", I suspect they have a good idea who they hope is going to be locals in control.  They remind me of the school yard bullies complaining that the teachers are monitoring the playgrounds.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 10:13:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 14, 2014, 08:34:11 PM

I'm not sure I would make a difference between the two.  Libertarians often decry the overarching federal powers that happen to curb the powers of the local elites have over the not so elite.  And by coincidence hardcore libertarians have pretensions toward being local elites.  When they talk about "local control" and "states rights", I suspect they have a good idea who they hope is going to be locals in control.  They remind me of the school yard bullies complaining that the teachers are monitoring the playgrounds.
The "state rights libertarians" are actually the prime example of the faux libertarians I was talking about.

Razgovory

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2014, 12:30:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 14, 2014, 11:39:49 PM
Then who are the true libertarians?
Male Assburgers aged 20-30, for the most part.

Don't see that as mutually exclusive with people who pretensions of being local elites.