Main Menu

When is Genocide Genocide?

Started by Queequeg, February 11, 2014, 03:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2014, 04:52:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2014, 04:48:23 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2014, 04:37:18 PM
So conquering only part of the country, and then exterminating all the inhabitants before resettling it with your own people doesn't count?

That might qualify by my definition.  If they lacked the means to conquer the other half of the country, that means they made a good faith effort at extermination.
What if they don't care about eliminating the ethnicity from the earth entirely, they just want to cleanse their own lands?

How about "ethnic cleansing" and "mass murder"?

Deliberate "genocide" is a pretty rare event- not many have historically attempted it.

Edit: genocide is too good for bestial Swedes.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

The distinction is simple: if you attempt to do it on the ground, it is genocide; if you do it from the air, it is not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I am also willing to accept mass killings undertaken by naval bombardment, as a show of good faith with Neil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Perhaps time to retire your primer gray Camaro Log.  :)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

The air war schtick is getting worn out.

Ideologue

That's true of everybody's schticks.  It's our shitty charm.
Kinemalogue

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2014, 04:37:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2014, 04:04:41 PM
I think for the genocide label to apply someone has to make a good faith effort to entirely eliminate a people or entirely eradicate a culture.
So conquering only part of the country, and then exterminating all the inhabitants before resettling it with your own people doesn't count?

It was my understanding that in this situation they deported the people or at least that was the intention.  Compare this to the Germans were they imported Jews from their allies so that they could kill them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I'm not sure how I'd define it. On how that's described I'd say it sounds like a genocide.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.